seventeen

17 : over

By the end of September, I had broken up with Sirius.

It was, easily, one of the worst days of my life. One of the most painful things I had ever done.

It was the day after the first full moon that we had back at Hogwarts, and I had been forbade - by all four of the boys - to participate. Peter was better, and Pomfrey had given him a clean bill of health and ensured I hadn't caught what he had.

James started it, two days before while helping me finish the wolfsbane. He told me that I was too weak to go, and Pomfrey would notice my absence. He said that I needed to continue my routine, because I was slowly getting better. He said he was concerned about whether or not missing a night would hurt me.

Sirius agreed, immediately, that I shouldn't be there. Remus followed suit, and Peter agreed just because the others did. Even Lily agreed.

So James took me down to Pomfrey, back to my solo room, and then left to go and help keep Remus under control. If he hadn't taken the wolfsbane, he'd be in Azkaban.

If I had gone, none of it would have happened. Sirius would not have dared to try that with me there; he'd be in a normal state of mind... but something happened between the time that James took me to Madame Pomfrey, and when he brought me to my dorm. I immediately went to sleep, exhausted.

It wasn't until Lily angrily burst through my door in the morning that I learned what had happened.

"Jemina Potter!" I shot up in my bed, gasping loudly. I sighed in relief, grabbing my chest, when I saw Lily in my doorway. She was heaving.

"What happened?"

"I will kill that mutt of a boyfriend of yours if you do not kill him yourself!" She shouted, her arms crossed over her chest and her face redder than her hair. Her breathing was incredibly heavy, and her eyes were watering.

She was angry crying.

Like only cried in anger when she was beyond furious, in that moment, I was surprised that she wasn't on fire.

"What did he do?" I asked, getting out of bed. I grabbed my blue robe off of the hook by the bed, and pulled it on over the knee-length grey nightgown I wore. I grabbed my wand, sliding it in the left pocket.

"Go ask your brother," She growled. I raised an eyebrow. What did James have to do with Sirius' idiocy? "I need to go make sure Severus is okay."

"Oh God," I mumbled as I followed her out, shutting my door. If Severus was involved... I crossed the robe over itself and crossed my right arm across my body. I took my hair out of it's pony tail, putting the band in the pocket with my wand. I shook out the curls, jogging down the stairs. I saw James and Remus sitting on the couch in front of the fireplace, James turned slightly towards Remus with a hand on his back.

Sirius was sitting by himself in a corner in the opposite side of the room. I looked towards him, but he didn't meet my eyes. His face was unreadable.

"What happened?" I said, approaching James and Remus. My heart started thudding as I saw how pale Remus was. I walked around the side of the couch, standing just to the right of James.

"Severus followed Sirius to the shack last night before we all changed," Remus said, his voice hallow and soft. My jaw fell, and I covered my mouth with my hand. I could already feel the heat of anger bubbling. "Had James not have been a little late, Severus would have been inside the shack when I changed, and he's not an animagus."

"Remus could have killed Severus," James said quietly, looking at me with sorry eyes. I took a deep breath and sat on the table in front of Remus. I could see Sirius, and his eyes were locked on my face. I refused to look towards him, my blood boiling from just being able to see him in my peripherals. "Since I had taken you to Pomfrey and back to your room, I came down to the tree as Severus was trying to sneak into the hole. He said he had followed Sirius."