01

Soulmates are bullshit.

The idea of having that one person that is perfect for you and was made just for you was complete and utter bullshit.

Love should be a choice, a struggle, it shouldn't be something so easy.

Maybe your philosophy on it was a bit biased, seeing as how you were never born with an indicator.

You didn't have a small bunny on your wrist like your friend and his soulmate.

You didn't have a huge orange chrysanthemum blossoming across your shoulder like your parents.

You had nothing. No tattoo to tie you to anyone.

It used to hurt, to pain you to think that you didn't have a soulmate out there, that you would never have someone you truly loved or who would truly love you. But then you started to realize that it didn't matter if you had a soulmate. It was actually freedom, not belonging to anyone or having that choice made for you. You could choose who you fell in love with and who you wanted to give your heart to. Not the universe or some supernatural force.

You'd met Lee Donghyuck in the most mundane way, a mutual friend had set you up with him. He didn't have a tattoo either, she had informed you over dinner one night as her own soulmate had her arm around her. She reckoned that you two could at least be friends since you "shared the same struggle," according to her. And you, having never met someone else without a tattoo, were at the least intrigued.

And it really did all take off from there. Your whole first meeting was spent with the two of you just rambling on about your own experiences growing up without an indicator. You didn't quite click the way that you figured soulmates would, but you were pretty sure it felt really damn close.

That was your last year of college that you'd met him. Now, just over four years later, you'd both graduated and found careers, and were in love. Real, true, raw love.

So when you woke up beside him in bed that morning, rolling over to rest your forehead against his back and sling an arm over his waist, you didn't think twice about it. And when he playfully grumbled and rolled over to "obliviously" squish you underneath him, you didn't think twice about it. And when you made breakfast that morning and he nearly made you burn it because he had been kissing you for so long, you didn't think twice about it. And especially when you kissed him goodbye at the bus station—where you two had to board separate buses—you didn't think twice about it.

In fact, your mind was preoccupied with your plans for your date tonight. You were going to the movies, something the two of you hadn't done in forever. And so far, you still haven't agreed on what movie to watch. That was something you could research on your morning commute. Reading through the reviews and summaries of the newest releases, you sent screenshots of a couple you wanted to see to Donghyuck.

[hyuck: i heard that one sucked]

[you: which one?]

[hyuck: the first one]

[you: that's the point, ding dong. you go watch it to make fun of it]

[hyuck: ding dong?]

[hyuck: am i dating a three-year-old?]

[you: you have rubber duckies don't even try to call me immature]

[hyuck: uh yeah, because they're really fucking cute!!]

[hyuck: there's nothing cute about calling someone a ding dong]

[you: but the person i'm calling a ding dong is cute]

[hyuck: blocked. reported.]

[you: for what?]

[hyuck: attempted murder]