02

When you reached your floor after that abysmal lunch—with Mr. Lee still stubbornly in tow—you were pleasantly surprised to see a familiar figure at your desk, one that washed all of your annoyance, worries, and fears away.

"Hey, baby," You grinned as you approached Donghyuck, pulling him in for a kiss. Yep, there it was. That feeling that confirmed that you loved him. And that was final. "Why are you here?"

"I wanted to come surprise you with lunch reservations." He explained sheepishly, getting flustered like he did any time he tried to do anything remotely romantic.

"Oh, I'm so sorry. I had a business lunch today." You went to gesture to Mr. Lee, but when you turned around, you found that he had disappeared. Probably went back up to Budgeting.

"That's okay, I should've checked beforehand."

"Another time?"

"I don't know, you know that I'm a very busy man, it's difficult for me to make time—"

You cut off his teasing excuse with a sharp smack on the arm, "Oh shush. It'll be my treat next time, okay?"

"Okay," Donghyuck grinned, kissing you one more time before heading towards the elevator. "I'll see you at home."

"Bye." You gave him a short wave, watching him until the elevator doors had closed on his figure.

When you went to sit at your desk, Renjun, who had been watching the whole encounter, coughed. Looking at him with an eyebrow raised, you waited for whatever commentary he had on your personal life this time.

"Assistant Director Lee looked like he was genuinely contemplating murder when you kissed Donghyuck." Renjun stated, only making you roll your eyes as you opened your laptop.

"You know, it's almost like... I don't care."

☆  

The rest of your work day had been uneventful, just your normal duties and no sort of interaction with the Budgeting Department. When you got home, you hung your purse up in your entryway then kicked your shoes off. If you were in any better of a mood, you might have shouted out that you were home, to see if Donghyuck was there or not. But judging by the bowl of mac and cheese left on the kitchen table with your favorite purple-handled spoon sticking out of it, you already knew he was.

You shoveled in a few spoonfuls of the mac and cheese that was just warmer than room temperature and took a long sip of water right from your faucet before making your way even further into your apartment. Your feet, wrists, and back were aching from your unusually rigorous routine of sitting at a desk and typing for about five hours, and also standing in Director Jo's office for well over an hour as you listened in on a teleconference she was having with the newly-promoted Directors Nakamoto and Moon in Japan.

Barely past the threshold of your bedroom doorway, you were already peeling your shirt and slacks off, rooting around in your drawers for lounge clothes. Your boyfriend was laying on your bed, eyes unblinking as he scoured what you assumed to be the newest edition of his favorite quarterly criminology journal.

"Hey, honey, how was your day?" Donghyuck asked without even glancing in your direction, too enthralled by a new pattern of bloodspatter or some other gruesome thing.

"Just a bit weird." You sighed, setting your phone down on your nightstand and stretching out a crick in your neck.

"Oh." He closed his magazine before tucking it under his pillow, then patted the space beside him. "Tell me about it."

You gratefully obliged, laying down next to him and feeling immediate relief as his arm encircled you and you laid your head into the crook of his neck. In all honesty, just laying here had already cleansed your tired form of the trials of the day, and you could probably spend the rest of your life right there, not thinking about Mr. Lee, your freckle, or your non-existent soulmate. But Donghyuck was often times too curious for his—or your—own good, and you knew that'd he bother you about it if you didn't tell him now. You were definitely too tired to put up with that kind of bullshit. Not only that, but you surely didn't believe it, so why not tell him about the crazy conversation you'd had with a delusional man at your work?