Can You Have Sex During Your Period?

We want to debunk one popular myth about menstruation: "You shouldn't have sex during your period."

Having sexual intercourse while you are menstruating is perfectly fine and may even reduce period-related discomfort.

However, women may be more prone to infections and sexually transmitted diseases at this time.

During menstruation the cervix is slightly open, and the uterine mucous membrane (endometrium) is shed, forming micro-wounds that can get infected.

Therefore, it is wise to use barrier contraceptives like condoms, even if you have a regular sexual partner.

when I have my periods and I have sex with my husband, we usually use a condom so I don't get an infection. When we do not, I later experience burning and itching and I feel absolutely miserable.
If you experience itching, don't scratch!! You'll only irritate yourself and make it so raw that you create burn-like sores on your vagina. (Trust me, I've done it once before and it was not fun!)
Another tip: don't have sex on your period if you feel uncomfortable about it even in the slightest. If you do try it and it's painful or too uncomfortable, don't do it, you could actually be damaging the lining of you vag. If you make cuts, they're highly painful and bleed a lot- if you cut too deep you could actually bleed to death and die. (It's uncommon but it's not unheard of!)
My best tip yet: do what makes you feel at ease and comfortable. Yes, physical activity such as working out or having sex usually does ease cramps if not taking them away. (Works for most, but not all! Everybody's body is different. Find what's right for yours.) When I have intercourse on my period, I'm doubled over in pain afterwards, but having an orgasm eases the cramps. So if your experience is similar to mine- just masturbate or have your boyfriend/husband do it for you.
Whatever you choose, make sure it's what's best for you! :)