Chapter 19

The next day, I got ready and went downstairs.

"Are you going somewhere?" Carmen asked me.

"Yeah. I'll be back by lunch," I said.

I went out of the house and walked over to the park. I found the contact and called the person.

"Hello?"

"Hey Audrey. It's me, Zack."

"Zack?" She sounded surprised.

"Yeah. I wanted to talk to you. If you're free then can we meet?"

"Now?" She sounded more surprised.

"Yeah, now. I'm at the park." I said confidently.

"Umm okay. I'll be there in fifteen," she said and hung up.

***

"Hey." Audrey said as she sat in front of me.

"Hi." I said. "Let me get straight to the point. I need to know why you broke up with me."

"I've told you that Zack."

"I need to know the exact reason. You're not being completely honest with me."

Audrey looked at me like she didn't know what to do with me. I get that a lot. She sighed and said, "Fine."

"I got a job offer in London. They're offering me a job for a year. If they're impressed by my work at the end of the year then they'll give me a permanent job with a great package. I might not come back here. The workload is extremely high and I wouldn't have time for anything. I've seen how much you love it here. I can't ask you to come with me and stay in London for nothing. I've seen people break up over things like this and I didn't want to end things horribly. I'm sorry for hurting you but it would hurt a lot more if you come with me and realize we can't work it out. We want different things, Zack. I can't pass up such a big career opportunity."

I took that in. "So the thing about you liking somebody else was a lie?"

"Yes."

"I saw you with a guy yesterday near Colin's restaurant." I said.

"I had just come back from the interview for the one year job. It went well so a guy from work asked me for a treat. That's all that happened. I'm sorry for lying to you and hurting your feelings, Zack but this is for the best."

We were both silent for a while. She looked concerned about me. Whatever happened, Audrey was a good person and even if we weren't together anymore, that wouldn't stop her from caring for me, at least as a friend.

"It's okay. We're cool," I said in the end.

"Really?"

"Yes. I'm fine. Really." I smiled. "Good luck in London. I'm happy for you."

"Thank you. I don't mean to be rude or anything but I have to go. I promised Ayden that I'll help with his project." She smiled back nervously.

"It's okay. I needed to talk to you. For my own peace. Thank you." I said.

"See you around."

***

"Zaaaaack," Ray came downstairs with an innocent yet mischievous look on her face.

"Raaaay," I said back.

"You know we should do some other bonding activity. We haven't really gotten the chance to talk lately." She started dramatically while waving her hands around.

"You're bored, aren't you?" I asked her.

"Yup."

"I guess I could show you my favorite place today." I said.