Chapter 13

Recap:

Lily platted my hair and then drew it up around my head so my hair is all up and leaves the back of my neck and top of my back bare and exposed. My make-up looks professionally done. My lips are a bright red and heavy, black eyeliner surrounds my eyes. I have extra volumising mascara and dark eyeshadow.

"Come on miss. Follow me. It's time to get you to the ball."

The Ball, Part 1

The ballroom is exquisite. Just magnificent. It is large-extremely spacious-and one whole side of the room consists merely of wall sized windows that are open and lead out onto numerous balconies. There is also a golden staircase that leads into the ball room - it would seem this where the royals will make their grand entrance from.

The entrance doorway is on the wall adjacent to that of all the windows. Opposite this entrance is a stage where there are five thrones: for the King, Queen and their three children. Tonight, all five seats will be occupied for the first time in almost 7 years!

The ballroom is already buzzing with numerous men, women and children. It's a sea of colour and fashion that varies from one to another. I look around, hoping to find Lexi. I'm a little overwhelmed, I must say, and am already missing Stefan. I miss the confidence and comfort he offers me.

"Hey girl! Damn! You look hot!" I turn and there stands Lexi, one hand on her hip and the other stroking her chin. Her face looks jokingly thoughtful and there's a mischievous glint in her eyes.

"Not as hot as you! Lex! You look amazing! Amazeballs." I laugh and she just nods.

"Well of course." She gives her hair a flick over her shoulder before linking wins with me and leading me further towards the front.

"Introducing His Majesty King Alexander Anthony Richard Williams and Her Majesty Queen Lilliana Cecilia Williams!" The guard who is introducing them pauses and the King and Queen appear at the top of the stairs. They look most splendid. Both have their crowns on and a floor length red robe with a jewel encrusted white fur collar. You know, the traditional royal robes one imagines. Just as they have begun their descent, a voice introduces their children one by one.

"Her Royal Highness Princess Laura-Marie Jodie Williams!" Laura follows her parents with a beaming smile and she comes to stand on the right side, next to the Queen.

"The Royal Highnesses Prince Stefan Arthur Alexander Williams and Prince Damon Edward Maximus Williams!"

Stefan walks in first and I take a sharp, little breath. He looks strikingly handsome in his black suit and I can sense Lexi's eyes burning into me as her head suddenly snaps my way. My face heats up a little and I know I'm blushing. Just how badly, I'd rather not know. He looks so right, like he's meant to be up there. I mean I know he is but you know what I mean; he looks to be in his element. His eyes scan the crowd, a warm smile securely plastered onto his face, and I notice his eyes sweep over me. In a nano second, they flick back to me and I notice something change in his eyes. In his whole face. It's so subtle that I doubt anyone else would notice. But I do. It's as if his smile becomes sincere and real.

Damon is behind him. He also looks dashing, but I can never think of him in any terms handsome or sexy, not for me. Every time I see him, all I see is trouble. He's an obstacle to now not only to Stefan but also to us and our future, given the minuscule detail that he's now blackmailing me. Us. He's not that stereotypical bad boy who is actually the most amazing person inside with a soft and open heart. No. He's just a bad boy, with a bad attitude and bad actions. And I want nothing to do with him.

But it doesn't look like I'll get that chance.

"Welcome to this evening's ball! I thank you all for attending, I know it was on very short notice but we have a great reason to celebrate!" The Queen smiles warmly at everyone and waits for the King to take over. The Royal Family have made their way up onto the stage at the front of the ball room, opposite the staircase and are stood in front of their thrones in a horizontal line in front of us: Princess Laura, Queen Lilliana, King Alexander, Stefan and finally Damon. I cannot see Dylan anywhere. I mean he's a prince so technically he should be up on the stage with the Royal Family surely? But no, I can't see him. I mean he sits with the Royals on the top table at meal times in the eating room, next to Stefan? Although thinking back, when he escorted me back to the palace he told me the King wasn't too 'keen' on him. Hmm, he never did explain why though.