CHAPTER 27 - a rose

"Hold still Alex!" Jane squeals as she jabs her makeup pencil into my eye for the hundredth time.
"It's hard to do when I'm being stabbed in the eye" I huff as I do my best to not squirm as my eyes water. I've been sitting here for the past half hour, her probing and poking my face with brushes and sponges of all sorts.
"Why do I need makeup? It's only an initiation party" I try to wiggle my way out of letting her finish.
"Because its a party! And your boyfriend will be there!" I tense at the word boyfriend.
"He's not my boyfriend!" I don't admit it, but when I hear him being referred to as my boyfriend it makes me happy.
"Sure thing, hold on I'm just finished" she finally removes the eyeliner pencil and I can blink again. She stands back and stares at me.

"What?"
"You are absolutely stunning al. Come on let's go" she grabs my hand a pulls me off the stool. I pull the short black dress Jane decided to buy me down as far as it will go, which isn't very far. It's a good few inches about my knees. The lace detail on top is a bit revealing, I've only left a life where I was covered up for 16 years, of just feels different.
Jane stands me in front of a mirror and it's the first time I've seen myself since she started. I actually don't look awful.

"See your beautiful" she smiles brightly and I roll my eyes.
"Yeah yeah, come on can we just go the guys are waiting in the hall" I begin to walk out of the dorms and we meet jack, Danny, Adam and Harry.
"Wow, you girls look great" jack looks taken aback. I can't help but see Adam stare at me.
"I've never seen you done up al, your... stunning" I just shake it off as I try to lead my friends to the bar as well as I can in these 7 inch heels, curtesy of Jane also.

I hear the thumping of the music as we arrive outside the party. I take a deep breath before we walk in the doors. Everyone stops to look and they holler once again like the rankings at dinner. It's almost as if since I got number one everyone treats me differently, with respect. I blush as Danny pushes past me to lead us to the bar.
We all stand around as the bar tender looks at
Expecting an order.

"I'll take a jack Daniels please" Jane orders first.
"A gin and tonic for me!" Jack orders.
"A beer for me and Danny" Adam orders and that leaves me and Harry looking like a kid in a candy shop.
"They've never drank, transfers. What do you recommend?" Adam puts an arm around Harry and me and the man looks deep in thought.
"tequila shots coming right up!"
"What's tequila?" I ask a genuine question, all this stuff is new to me.
"Just a drink for beginners" I see Jane giggle but take no notice.

The bar man comes back with everyone's drinks, including a tray of tiny glasses with clear liquid and a lemon slice on the side of each.
"You drink the drink and bite the lemon, simple" I nod picking up a glass.
"1,2,3" Harry and I down the sour liquid, it burning my throat. I quickly pick up the lemon slice and bite it hard.

+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+•+

I roll over onto my stomach pulling the bedsheets with me. All I can feel is my pounding head beneath my closed eyes. I suddenly notice a scent that leads me to believe I am not in the dorms. It's a zen lemon smell, a smell I can only pin to one man.

Eric.

I sit up quickly which I soon regret as soon as the world begins to spin in front of me. I start to panic when I realize I'm in his bed. I make it to my feet before creeping out of the empty room. I'm still in my dress from last night, that's a good sign. I look frantically around the apartment and what I spot warms my heart. I see Eric sprawled across the couch fast asleep. His hair is a mess and his posture is relaxed, it makes him look younger, like an actual teenager. Sometimes you'd forget Eric just turned 18, he acts like an adult.

He lets out a minor snore and I laugh. His eyelids slowly open and he looks up at me, a grin creeping onto his face.
"Good morning" his croaky morning voice fills the air.
"Morning" he sits himself up slowly with a yawn and I slide onto the sofa beside him.
"What happened last night?" I ask it as an innocent question but there is a hidden meaning.
"You don't remember?" I get a pang of worry in my chest before shaking my head.
"Last thing I remember is drinking that tequila"
"Well not much more happened, you were really drunk, and passed out. Your friends were dancing and you were up at the bar, so I brought you here."
"Oh is that all?"
"Were you expecting something else?" He raises an eyebrow and I just shrug, looking to the ground. He sighs.

"If you were thinking that I would let something happen last night your wrong. I wouldn't take advantage of you when your out of it, that's not the kind of person I am. We can get to that stuff when we are both ready and in the right state of mind"
"I feel so stupid for even thinking that Eric" I put my head in my hands and I feel a hand on my back.
"Don't. You've had a hard time and trusts issues are an obvious part of that." When I remove my hands from my face I see Eric with a small smile on his face. It's not a pitiful smile, it's a comforting one. 

"So, taking it slowly, what do you mean?" I decide to ask the question while we are here.
"Whatever you want it to mean. I'll do whatever it takes as long as it involves being around you. God I sound like a soppy Romeo. Look what you do to me" he goes bright red but tries to hide it as I laugh and put my head on his shoulder.
"Romeo, Romeo where art thou Romeo" Eric raises an eyebrow.
"I did listen in class you know."
"What is in a name? A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" my full attention turns to him, I stare deeply into his icy eyes.

"Make you learn that in erudite huh?"
"Actually I just like Shakespeare, shocked I know" I stop him by grabbing his face and smashing my lips against his.
"Wisely and slowly, they stumble that run fast" He seems surprised at my ability to recite,

Truth is I like Shakespeare too.