Chapter 1: The Dursleys

I would like to thank @InsufferableKnowItAl for the cover she made for my fanfic! Thank you!! :) <3 

Prologue

Severus Snape walks to the cottage in Godric's Hollow. It wasn't difficult to find, since the dark mark was hovering in the sky right above the cottage. After hearing from Lucius that Voldemort was gone, after attacking the Potters. He went to Dumbledore for confirmation. After talking to Dumbledore, he found out that Lucius was right, the Potter were attacked. He knew that the Potters would be attacked that day, because Voldemort held a meeting, hours earlier, announcing that he was going after the Potters tonight. He was told to wait for Lucius until he returned as he was going with him. Lucius was to stay in the shadows as look-out until the deed was done. Snape had gone back home after the meeting. Now however, Snape was being sent there by Dumbledore to see if there were any survivors, before the aurors arrived. He brought his deatheater robes and mask with him, since he didn't have time to hide it. He wore the hooded robe, but the mask was moved above his head. He regretted ever becoming a deatheater. He gulps, his heart racing, praying that Lily was ok. Though from what he saw of the cottage and of course the dark mark lighting up the sky, it did not bold well. Snape pulls his wand out and mutters lumos as he walks up to the door. The door was already open. His heart drops as he walks inside, then heads to the stairs. He goes up the stairs and stops dead in his tracks. There was James Potter dead on the landing, at the top of the stairs. The feeling of dread grew as Snape steps over the body and walks down the hall to what he believe, was the nursery. Upon entering the nursery, he finds Lily's dead body. He stops dead in the doorway, feeling as if the world had stopped. His heart breaking at the sight of Lily's body. The look of horror and shock on his face 'She can't be dead, she can't be'. But Snape knew. He knew Voldemort would kill her if she didn't step aside. He grabs hold of the dresser that was by the door to hold himself up, as his knees attempted to give out on him. He slowly moves towards Lily, unaware that baby Harry was crying. As soon as he was close enough, he falls to his knees and crawls to her. While on his knees, he lifts her cold body and holds her tightly against his own. He cries out in pain and agony as he holds her. He rock back and forth as he cries, holding her cold body against his. His Lily was gone, never to return. Never again will he see her red hair, her sparkling green eyes, her beautiful smile or hear her voice. He cries until he couldn't cry anymore. He finally hears baby Harry crying. He turns his head to Harry who was sitting up in his crib, crying and holding the bars. Snape gently lays Lily back down on the floor and stands up, feeling rather shaky. He wipes his face and eyes as he walks over to the crib and looks down. His jaw drops open, the baby had Lily's eyes, exactly her eyes! His dark brown eyes found the scar on the baby's forehead. It was in the shape of lighting bolt. He surmises that that's where the killing curse landed. He remembers his orders from Dumbledore. He wraps Harry up in the blanket from his crib and picks him up. He vows, right then and there to protect the boy, for Lily. He thought, 'Voldemort will pay for killing Lily. He will pay!' He holds the baby against his body as he picks up his wand that he dropped when he went to pick Lily's body up. He looks down at Lily and said softly but thickly, "I vow to protect your son to the best of my abilities. Your death and that of your husband, will not be in vain." He looks at Harry and realizes that he looks just like James, but he also had Lily's eyes. He said, "You must be Harry Potter. I am Severus Snape and I am here to rescue you. I'll be taking you to Albus Dumbledore. You're safe now." His words soothes the baby as the baby slowly stops crying and looks up at him with his innocent green watery eyes. He holds baby Harry against his body as he leaves the nursery. He carefully steps over James and walks down stairs. He quickly leaves the house and walks down the street before apparating to Hogwarts. Just as the aurors arrived on the scene. Snape walks up to the school and through the double doors. He then goes up the moving staircases until he reached Dumbledore's office. He said the password and took the spiral staircase up to where Dumbledore's office is. He knocks on the door and waits. A minute later Dumbledore said, "Enter." Snape enters Dumbledore's office, holding Harry in his arms. Snape bows slightly and said hoarsely, "I did as you asked, Headmaster. Harry is fine, however, he does have a lighting-shaped scar on his forehead.... He has Lily's eyes, Albus. Precisely her eyes! His parents didn't survive....." Dumbledore's blue eyes look sad at Snape, "Thank you for bringing him, Severus. I will be taking the boy to the Dursleys." Snape looks horrified as he said, "You WHAT?! I told you how Tuney was like, she hasn't changed! She hates magic!! I know full well the boy will show signs of magic and when he does, thing will be worse for the boy! Do you have any idea how she and her walrus of a husband will treat the boy! ARE YOU INSANE ALBUS!" Dumbledore said calmly, "They are the only family he has left." Snape held the baby close to him, but he knew there was no use arguing with Dumbledore. Dumbledore will never change his mind. Snape looks angrily at Dumbledore, "Very well, but if I find out that the boy is being abused, by them, in any way, I will remove the boy and nothing you will say will stop me from doing so. You have been warned, Albus." Dumbledore nods, "Very well, Severus." Snape reluctantly hands the baby over, looking angrily at Dumbledore. He said to, Harry, "Stay strong, Harry. You're mother would have wanted you to. You are safe for now." Baby Harry stuck his pudgy arm out and tries to reach for Snape. Snape said, "You have better have a good reason for doing this. Minerva will not be happy with you." With one look at the baby, he turns on his heels and storms out of the office, before Dumbledore could utter a reply. Dumbeldore said softly to Harry, "The blood protection will keep you safe there." Dumbledore closes his eyes, "For the greater good..."