Chapter 7

Percy's blood ran cold as everyone turned their attention to him now. Put on the spotlight, all he could do was look at each of them in turn, his jaw clenching and his body practically vibrating with the need to do... something. Anything to get out of this situation. This was not good, this was not good at all. It was bad enough that Stark was after him, but a group of four heroes, each with powers of their own, working together to take him down?  Especially with the state his shoulder was in?

Percy wasn't an idiot. He knew he that he was utterly screwed.

His gaze met with Steve's and he could practically see the gears shifting behind the clear blue eyes, his expression guarded, but apprehension and confusion shining through like a beacon. Suspicion laced his stance, but he didn't appear to be hostile. Not yet, at least. He counted that as a win so far.

"He barely looks over twenty, Stark." He responded, doubt clouding his voice. "Why on earth are you after a teenager?"

Tony's viser swung open, and he could see the still dark bruises and dried blood staining his face. Out of the corner of his eyes, he could see both Wanda and Steve reel at the sight of his injuries. Percy inwardly winced, but for the sake of appearances, he looked just as collected as he had before. "For your information, Capsicle, I don't have to tell you shit."

Percy uncertainly looked towards the two of them in turns. Wait... They weren't going to work together to take him down? The rift between them must've been huge for Rogers to not even seem to contemplate helping him. The air between them fizzled and crackled with barely concealed anger and matching glares burned through each other, the tension thick enough to cut with a knife. Hell, even a butter knife would be able to slice through it. If he hadn't known better, he would be surprised that literal sparks hadn't started flying from the intensity. He had known that the Avengers had disbanded and there had been bad blood between them, but to this extent? What really happened in Siberia? All he knew was what had been in the very vague report that had been written up. And there had been little to no useful information anyway. Not even where Barnes was currently, which had, at the time, frustrated him immensely.

"I shouldn't be surprised though." Steve's even and rather cold voice broke through the momentary silence. "This isn't the first time you've brought a kid into a fight they don't belong in, and I'm sure it won't be the last." He seemed to aim this more towards the red and blue hero at Stark's side, who visibly shifted uncomfortably under the veiled insult to his mentor-type figure. That only confirmed Percy's suspicion about Spider-Man's age though.

"Excuse me?" Tony sounded-and looked-both affronted and pissed. "You don't get to say that to me, Mr. Patriarchy. He is not-"

"It's true though." He cut him off, eyes sharp and flashing.

"You know what, don't talk to me or my son ever again."

Even Steve hesitated at that, eyes widening fractionally, and Percy could tell exactly what was running through his mind. In fact, he was thinking it too-but doing a much better job at hiding his shock. After all, he'd spent years practising authenticity and poker faces.

But... Was this Spider-Man actually his son? The files on Stark had never mentioned anything about children.

Tony's lip curled and he rolled his eyes. "It's a meme, Captain Cold. What, you've really never been on the internet before?"

Percy almost imitated him and rolled his eyes at that. Of course he would joke around at a time like this. He shifted his weight to his back foot, sliding backwards smoothly, trying his best to be unnoticeable. Unfortunately though, it caught the attention of Stark's protege, who took a step forward.