Chapter 7. Nightmare

Crying is how your heart speaks, when your lips can't explain the sorrow you feel.

~Pinterest

Ariana's POV

I was reciting a story to Cami who was laying beside me while I laid on Daniel's bed. I'm sleeping on a bed after so long and the feeling's so nice. The bed is soft and comfortable. I feel like jumping on it.

Cami was stubborn that she wanted to sleep in Daniel's room, on his bed along with me so uncle Dan, after a lot of "No's" and a little bickering, finally gave in to his niece's orders. Maybe, he will take her to her room once she's asleep and then I will have to leave this comfy bed and sleep on the couch. For now, he sat on the couch reading a document in his hand with a huge frown settled on his handsome face.

Did I just call him handsome? I'm nuts, seriously! How can I even call this arrogant man handsome? I know he's really good looking but...

Shoot! Stop think rubbish, Ariana!

I didn't even realise when sleep took over me and I fell into an unpeaceful slumber.

¤▪¤

"Mommy? What are you doing?" A little girl of age five stood next to the door of the huge room. Her eyes focused on her mother who held a silver knife close to her wrist as if she was going to slit her wrist open if it weren't for the little girl's voice.

Tears formed in the woman's eyes as she gazed at her daughter. She didn't want to do this. She didn't want to leave her daughter all alone. But she has had enough of her husband. She couldn't take it anymore. She knew it wasn't her best option but it was her last option.

Placing the knife on the table next to her, she walked towards her daughter. The woman scooted down to her daughter's height and patted the little girl's head before hugging her tightly as more tears ran down her eyes.

"I'm sorry, my angel. I'm sorry. I know shouldn't do this, but I don't have any option. I can't take it anymore. I lost all of my hope. I hope you'll forgive me for this. I wish you never lose your hope as I did. And Always remember, your mommy loves you no matter what," the women spoke the words with pure sorrow as she embraced and kissed her daughter's forehead.

She was going to leave everything behind. Pain, sorrow, misery, betrayal, even the few good memories but the only thing she regretted was leaving her daughter.

With a stone in her heart, the women stood up and walked towards the table as she picked the knife bringing it in front of her wrist.

"I'm sorry. I love you, my child," were the last words spoken before she sliced her wrist resulting her body to wobble and fall on the ground with a thud.

"Mommy?" The little girl called out to her mother having no idea of the death that occurred.

The little girl's steps moved towards her mother. Her tiny feet stepping onto the red puddle of blood that surrounded the women's body.

"Mommy, get up. The floor is dirty," she shook her mother. But the women didn't reply.

Her mother's eyes were wide open as she laid motionless on the cold floor. The little girl instinctively picked the knife that her mother had used. Her little hands clutching onto the handle.

"Gloria, are you deaf?! How dare you- What the hell did you do?!" It was the little girl's father who entered the room and shouted at his daughter.

He knew what had happened by just looking at the slit in his wife's wrist. His wife had taken her life and he knew very well the reason for it but he couldn't allow any scandal to stick to his name. His eyes took into his daughter's frame who held the knife in her hands. A sly smile formed on his face before he masked it with shock

"You killed your mother!" The man gripped his daughter's shoulder roughly, resulting in the girl to cry in pain.

"You pathetic excuse of a child. How dare you! You're gonna pay for this, you little brat!" With that, he hit his daughter on her face making her cry louder.

"Don't beat me, Daddy. I didn't do anything," she cried as the man continued hitting her.

¤▪¤

Daniel's POV

The voice of slow snores made me look towards the bed. Ariana's arms were spooned around Cami as they both looked like they were in deep slumber.

I shook my head in dismay. Now, I have an added work of waking Ariana up so that she can sleep on the couch.

Placing the wrecked documents on the couch, I headed towards them. Once I was in front of the bed, I stared a while at Ariana and Cami who looked sound asleep.

I don't understand why Cami is so fond of Ariana. Cami always roams around her which is getting a little annoying. But I don't mind it until and unless Ariana isn't a threat.

I'll make Cami sleep in her room first. Then, I'll wake Ariana up.

Deciding on that, I gently unwrapped Ariana's arm from Cami which made her stir a little making me freeze, holding her hand in mid-air. Ariana shook her head like a little cat in her sleep which almost made me smile. Almost.

After I succeeded in getting Cami out of Ariana's hold, I carried her to her room. Laying little Cami on her bed, I covered her with the duvet properly before exiting the room and heading back to my room.

I close the room's door shut behind me as I headed towards Ariana with the intention of waking her up. I brought my hand to shake her a bit but stopped midway.

A stray tear ran down her eyes falling on the linen sheet. I stared at her for a while.

Ariana wasn't like many other women. She didn't speak much. Always kept to herself. Did everything you say without a single objection. She always smiled but when you look closer into her eyes, there was something different. Some weird kind of emotion in them. She is a bit strange in my dictionary.

Most of the women I have met always spoke up for themselves and denied the thing they didn't want without hesitation. But Ariana, she always agreed without a word even if she didn't want to. I know, she didn't want to marry me.

Heck, I half expected her to run away from the marriage but she didn't.

Why are you so strange, Ariana?

I sat on the bed, next to her frame, and stared at her face as if the answer would pop on it. A wayward strand of her chestnut hair messily fell on her face.

I don't know what took over me as I stepped closer to her and brushed off the strand of hair from her face, tucking it behind her ear.

When I take a closer look, Ariana is really....beautiful.

What the hell am I doing? What is wrong with me? I should just wake her up and tell her to sleep on the couch.

"Don't beat me, Daddy. I didn't do anything," she muttered in her sleep as tears sprang out of her eyes.

Huh?

"Don't beat me. Please. It hurts." She spoke louder this time, tears running down her eyes uncontrollably, "I didn't do anything."

What's happening?

"Ariana," I shook her slightly resulting her to flutter her eyes open. She sat up abruptly, breathing heavily.

Her tears filled eyes looked at me and for a moment there, I felt frozen. There was so much sorrow in those eyes. So much suffering. I felt a wave of familiarity wash over me.

"Are you ok-"

I was surprised when she suddenly hugged me, cutting me off.