Somebody that I used to know (Jeno) Part~1

Tears filled the little girl's eyes as she listened to her best friend's words. "You're such a crybaby," the little boy, Jeno, huffed. This made Anna cry harder. "Don't cry, Anna," he added softly. "We'll meet again soon," he promised.

She looked up at him, "when?"

"When we're older," he grinned at her, his eyes forming crescents. "We'll be friends forever."

"Okay," she sniffed.

Lee Jeno was going to move to Seoul that day. It is a very difficult thing for a kid to lose their best friend, but Anna held onto Jeno's promise of meeting again. She stood by him as his father loaded the cab with luggage. "We'd better get moving," he said to his family. Anna hugged her best friend tightly, wanting nothing more than to hold on.

"Goodbye, Seojin," she waved at Jeno's two-year-old brother, who waved back before taking wobbly steps towards his mother. Anna watched the cab go until it was out of sight, then crossed the street to her own house.

~

"Mom, I can go by myself," Anna said for the nth time that morning.

"Are you sure you don't want me to drive you?" her mother asked.

"Yes, I'm sure! Gotta go, I'm already late on my first day!" Anna said, running out of the house before her mother could change her mind. She took the bus, which would take ten minutes to reach school. Anna's mother had lost her job a few months back, but luckily she had found a new one in Seoul in a well-known company. The pay was better than her old job, so the two had to move to Seoul, where today was Anna's first day of high school.

The new school was huge, to say the least. She had already gotten her schedule via email, according to which she had biology as her first period. Considering the size of the school, it was a mystery how she reached the right classroom, that too on time. She settled herself in the middle row, aware of some students turning around to sneak glances at 'the new kid.'

Class started a while later. Thankfully the teacher didn't ask her to introduce herself, he simply told the class how Anna would be joining them and started with the attendance. Anna zoned out through the names until a very familiar one caught her attention, "Lee Jeno."

"Here." Anna turned around to look at the owner of the voice and saw a black-haired male staring back at her. Anna felt a tingle go all over her body. The boy before her eyes had changed so much in the past ten years, but it was an easy thing to recognize your ex-best friend. Anna turned back, facing the teacher. There was only one thing she could think of; did he remember her?

During lunchtime, she saw Jeno sitting alone at a table. Maybe this was not the Lee Jeno she knew in the past. Her ex-best friend was always cheerful and smiled with his eyes but this one here looked too intimidating. She went to him anyway.

"Hi," she greeted him. He looked at her darkly, then looked back at his food. "There is something I want to confirm," she said without feeling discouraged and took a seat with him. To her surprise, she saw his hand pause for a millisecond.

"What?" He said sharply, looking at her.

"I think we knew each other before. Do you remember me? I'm Anna."

"No." He said flatly. "I don't remember any Anna." It should've hurt, but for some reason, it didn't. Maybe because she knew he was lying. The same eyes, the same mole below his eye; it was the boy she knew a decade ago.

"Alright," she said cheerfully. "You can know me now. I've already told you my name. I shifted to Seoul with my mother a few days ago and I'll be staying here, I guess."