Taking the Good with the Bad

By:BekkaChaos

Summary:

 Ian is on a terrible date at a restaurant and Mickey is his waiter who can't help but notice that the hot redhead is sitting with a complete asshole.

(This is pretty long)
-------------------------------------------------------------

“You know I’m going to kill him right? I’m actually going to kill him,” Mickey complained as he tacked the order form to the kitchen menu-board. “He’s got no sense of urgency so I gotta stay back? Bullshit.”

One of the other guys had called in to say he was going to be late so instead of knocking off before the end of the night Mickey was stuck at the restaurant until the idiot showed up.

Mandy grinned at him as she mixed a cocktail behind the bar. “This happens like every week, why are you so surprised?”

“I ain’t surprised,” he grumbled. “I’m pissed off and wonderin’ why he hasn’t been fucking fired yet.”

“Richie does a good job,” she shrugged.

“Yeah, when he shows up,” he muttered.

“Go and give table ten their drinks and stop whining like a little bitch-baby,” she said, putting the drinks on a tray. “Cosmo, black russian and―”

“I know my liquor,” he said and she rolled her eyes.

“Yeah, yeah, don’t be a grump to the customers.”

“Shut up,” he said.

He took the drinks out to the table complete with charming smile and a friendly face that would have anyone who knew him raising their eyebrows in confusion. For a person who spent most of his life grumpy he was damn good at his job.

“Mick, table three, just came in,” one of his co-workers nodded in the direction of the table as he was clearing off another.

“Thanks man,” he said, grabbing a pencil off the bar and putting it behind his ear as he headed over to the two guys sitting opposite one another at table three.

They were both dressed pretty nicely, which wasn’t surprising because it was a nice place, and seemed to be on a date. The redhead looked nervous enough anyway.

“Hey guys I’m Mickey, I’mma be your server tonight is there anything I―”

“Yeah, you got any other menu other than wine?” said the guy with the darker hair.

“Uh... we got a full bar, almost anything you want up there,” Mickey said.

“What kind of whiskey you got?” Mickey’s back bristled a little.

“You after top shelf or we got a selection of good mid range―”

“Is there anyone who can give me an actual answer?” The guy asked and Mickey grit his teeth.

He hated obnoxious customers and this guy was just rubbing him the wrong way. He wasn’t the nicest guy himself but he was never a douchebag to waiters, especially since he started working as one. 

“Uh look,” the redhead said, butting in before Mickey could come out with some sharp retort. “I’ll just have a glass of which ever one you recommend, really it’s fine.”

He gave Mickey an awkward smile which Mickey knew all too well. It was the ‘sorry he’s being such an ass’ smile. He got that from women out with their rude husbands or family all the time.

“Rocks or neat?” Mickey asked.

“Neat,” he said.

“I’ll have the same, something half decent and well aged,” the other guy said.