CHAPTER THREE

Yoongi pulled up in front of Jungkook's apartment complex, putting his beat up car in park and sending a text to let him know he was waiting outside

Yoongi pulled up in front of Jungkook's apartment complex, putting his beat up car in park and sending a text to let him know he was waiting outside. He hummed softly to the pop song on the radio while tapping his fingers on the steering wheel. It was a sunny day in Queens, the streets were bustling with morning rush hour traffic and people walking, or running, to get to work on time. With the sun shining through the open car window, the day would feel quite tranquil if it weren't for the occasional car horns beeping from impatient drivers. Yoongi loved it nonetheless, Queens was noisy, but it sounded like home.

He ran a hand through his black hair as he sighed, checking his phone again to see if Jungkook was on his way. As he was in the middle of typing out a passive aggressive text to the younger boy, he saw him exiting the building out of the corner of his eye. Yoongi smiled softly at the sight of him, any annoyance felt previously melting away instantly. How could he not when Jungkook was wearing an oversized sweater while carrying whatever breakfast food in his hands, trying not to drop it on the pavement as he tried to keep his backpack on one shoulder? Yoongi was always baffled how someone could look so soft while simultaneously having muscles that could snap him in half.

Yoongi reached over to open the passenger door to aid a struggling Jungkook, he didn't want his food to go to waste. Jungkook threw his backpack into the backseat and huffed as he sat down and closed the door.

"You're late. For someone who rushed me out of the house this morning you would think you would have been ready for when I got here." Yoongi said as he put the car in drive.

"I burned the first set of bagels, clearly I am not cut out to be a Masterchef." Jungkook retaliated, handing Yoongi his bagel, slightly less flustered than when he got into the car.

"How did you manage to burn a bagel? Did you forget about it?"

"Maybe."

Yoongi chuckled, Jungkook excelled at almost everything and still managed to mess up the smallest things. He found it endearing, and gave Yoongi fuel to make fun of someone who was basically perfect.

"Jeon Jungkook, boy genius who can't toast a bagel."

"Hyung, it is perfectly reasonable for someone to excel in applied physics and understand acid-based reaction theories and still manage to burn a bagel. I can at least make instant ramen without messing it up."

"I would hope you would be able to boil water, you go to the best science school in the state."

"Shut up and eat your bagel."

Yoongi smirked as he made a mental tally mark on his side on won arguments with Jungkook, so far he was in the lead with three. The rest of the drive was in silence, save for the sound of the two boys eating their bagel and the radio. It was small moments like this that Yoongi enjoyed the most. Moments where he and Jungkook didn't have to fill the silence with conversation due to social obligation. Moments where they could just be in the moment and be in each other's company.

Moments the two of them craved but didn't mention to the other. Moments they have been lacking save for the morning car rides to school.

Yoongi couldn't help but feel frustrated when Jungkook dipped on hanging out after school or on weekends, and he knew he shouldn't because he had an amazing opportunity with the internship. However, he was selfish and wanted to spend as much time as he could with his best friend during their senior year. Even Taehyung and Jimin had noticed Jungkook's constant absence, only they were less vocal about the frustration.

Jungkook felt guilty about missing out on time with his friends, but he felt as if he had an obligation now. He had power, he could help people, he needed to take advantage of that. He was working with Kim Namjoon, his idol and now his mentor, he was living the life he had always dreamt of. He just hoped his friends, especially Yoongi, understood how important this was to him.

"So, did you write your article for the Gazette this week?" Jungkook asked, reaching for a conversation to clear his mind.

"Mmhm, I submitted it to Mr.Kim this morning before you rushed me out the door."

"I'm going to ignore the second part of that sentence. What did you write about?"

"A short article on Spider-man. It isn't my best, but I'm hoping to continue it as he does more. Make it a weekly segment or something."

Jungkook's heart skipped a beat and he felt his stomach drop. The last thing he needed was for Yoongi to start reporting on the very thing he was trying to keep a secret. He knew he couldn't keep Yoongi from this now, once his mind was set on something he stuck with it.

"Oh, really? Why him?" Jungkook tried his best to not sound suspicious or like he was trying to hide something, he knew Yoongi could pick up on changes quickly. It was terrifying sometimes.

Yoongi hummed, "I don't know, he interests me I guess. No one knows anything about him except that he fights petty crime and wears a onesie while swinging from buildings."

"It's not a onesie!" Jungkook exclaimed, completely forgetting to not be suspicious, but Yoongi was throwing shade towards his suit.

"You seem very defensive."

Shit, I've been caught. "Not defensive, just that it's obvious his suit is made from durable and flexible enough material to be aerodynamic enough to swing in the first place. And it has to be comfortable enough to fight and wear for however long he wears it for. Have you ever worn a onesie? They're insanely loose and you slide everywhere unless you're on carpet."

"Onesies are comfortable."

"But, not aerodynamic. It's just disrespectful to call something like that a onesie."

"Okay okay, it isn't a onesie. Damn, Ggukie, I didn't know you were so interested in Spider-man anyway."

"W-well, he's a superhero. He has a cool suit. He fights bad guys. Why wouldn't someone be interested?"

"You don't think superheroes sometimes cause more chaos than they try to prevent? Every time something happens they always seem to leave a mess behind for the little guy to clean up."

Jungkook's eyes furrowed, "True. But their main purpose and goal outweighs any mess they leave behind. They work to save people who can't save themselves and fight battles that are too dangerous for people who aren't strong enough. It's honourable."

Yoongi smiled, one of his favourite things to do was purposely get Jungkook riled up to the point where he ranted. Jungkook was passionate about so many things, and Yoongi would sit for hours listening to anything ranging from astrobiology to the many reasons Jungkook thought Star Wars was better than Star Trek.

"-and besides Spider-man doesn't even leave a mess behind, he isn't fighting aliens or other powerful beings. He looks out for the little guy."

"Gguk, I'm messing with you. I think Spider-man's cool, that's why I bothered writing about him in the first place. He does more than the bigger heroes in my opinion. How often do aliens try and take over New York versus people having their bags stolen or their cars broken into to. He helps the people the bigger heroes don't worry about."

Jungkook felt a blush spread across his cheeks and spread down his neck at Yoongi's words. Both because he managed to fall for Yoongi's tricks again and because of what he was saying about him unintentionally. He revelled in the praise despite knowing Yoongi hadn't meant to direct them at him. Jungkook felt validated just from that one statement alone, but he still knew this was going to get him into trouble. He would need to be even more cautious from now on.

The two boys arrived at Midtown High, Yoongi quickly finding a parking spot for once. They hopped out of the car, grabbing their bags and walked into the school. Another day of learning, another day with each other, another day closer to their future. A fact that both excited them and terrified them.