Chapter 11: Running

Hey everyone,

Sorry this took so long and is so short. It is more of a filler.

I have been on holiday and been doing voluntary work and summer work for College. I also had my A.S Level results come in. so i have been extremely busy.

Anyway, hope you enjoy,

Vote, Comment, Follow

Chloe x

Chapter 11

                Have you ever been in a situation where your life crumbles? Have you ever lost all hope and felt so unbelievably broken? Well that is how I feel. Holding dearly onto Catherine as I sobbed, that was when I realised that I fit the answer to those two questions. I felt so broken. I felt myself shattering piece by piece as I looked down at Catherine in my arms and the blood that was soaked in her hair and shirt.

                Seeing her body lack the up and down breathing motion, I knew it was too late.  Her life was gone and I was totally helpless. There nothing I could do to bring her back. The person that had raised me, taught me to walk and speak. The person who was there for me through every problem I ever had and raised me into the person I was today, was now lying dead in my arms.

                The guilt and pain was crushing me and I couldn’t cope because I couldn’t escape the depths of my mind that was still reeling in pain and suffering at the thought of my mum’s death. She meant everything to me and everything was fine. In less than a second, one bullet, everything had been blown to pieces as my world crumbled before me.

                Regretfully, I knew I had to leave. I had to run. Whoever they were would come in soon. I was surprised they hadn’t rushed the house already. Letting Catherine’s hand fall limply to the ground, I scrambled up from the floor. I was covered in blood. It stained my hands and my clothing which just made me feel sick. Desperately running my hands along my jeans to get some blood off of my hands, I rushed towards the closet and saw the black rucksack tucked at the back.

                I grabbed it through it over my back and took one last look around the house. I would never be back here ever again. This was it. I was leaving. I was about to head towards the door when I decided to grab one last thing. Taking a photo frame into my hands, I shoved it into my backpack. It had a picture of Catherine and I on my twelfth birthday which was a day I always held close to me. I went up to the door handle and took a deep breath.

                There was a loud crash from the front door as it slammed open. I made my move. Pulling open the back door, I sprinted across the back yard and straight into the forest. I dodged into and out of the trees as I ran. I could vaguely hear shouting back from the direction of the house which only managed to make my panic at the worry of being caught. It was then that the thought finally crossed my mind that these people were werewolves too. I needed to shift and now. I dropped the backpack and thought of my wolf form.

                I barely held in the feeling of pain as this was only the second time I had shifted. The cracking of bones ripped through my body and I inwardly cringed as I still wasn’t used to this unpleasant feeling. Eventually I felt the shift process complete. I grabbed my backpack by my teeth and darted off. Suddenly, I was speeding through the forest so much faster than I had been in my human form. I felt clumsy in my human form yet this felt elegant and sleek. I felt my paws pound against the forest floor below me, propelling me further and further away from my home where my mum lay dead. Desperately, I tried to rid myself of those thoughts but it was overwhelming with the amount of grief I felt right now.

                In the end, all I thought about was distancing myself and running from whoever it was that was after me. I had to hide myself as soon as possible. I didn’t know how to do any of this stuff. They now knew where I was so I would constantly have to move around the country to remain safe. I couldn’t do this. I didn’t understand all of this hiding for your life stuff.

                Running. Running. Running.

                That was all I was doing. I needed to get away. As far as I could. Which direction I was running? Where I was going? I had no idea. It was just getting away, hoping that the distance would rid me of this pain and despair which I was feeling right now. The forest seemed to grow ever thicker as I ran through it. I knew now I was a fair distance from civilisation. It was then that I heard the rain, the sound of it hitting and pattering against the leaves before dropping gently onto the floor.

                I felt the rain drops drip through my fur but the coolness never fully reached me. My mind was now solely focused on getting me as far as possible. Somehow I had been dragged into this otherworld, supernatural world and I was a key figure of it. Running for my life seemed like the rest of my future, well the foreseeable future anyway. How long would my life remain like this?

                My mind flickered to the fact that I was a Princess of the European Kingdom of Werewolves and that I was currently having to run for my life. That title condemned me to being hunted and whatever torture they would have in store if they were to catch me. I inwardly shuddered at that thought.

                I was so unprepared. I had no idea about the world in which I was part of. I knew the very basics and that was it. There were so many things that I were lost about and couldn’t comprehend or understand. I was at a disadvantage at every turn which I took. How was I supposed to survive when there was a price above my head?

                With my fleeing right now? Well, that probably confirmed to everyone just who I was. I bet they would end up finding some form of information on me back at the house which would confirm my real parentage and then it would be a full manhunt. What was I going to do? I had nowhere to go to and I didn’t know how long this war would last. It had been seventeen years of carefully planned moves and countermoves which never seemed to gain either side much. So how long would I have to run for?

                This daunted me. My trivial dreams and passions of life had been altered. My strive to go to university and become a musician were crushed. Now, they seemed so unimportant and pointless when now I was facing a life or death situation if I didn’t manage to get away in time. Everything I had ever worked for had been crushed and replaced by the endless cycle of insecurity. I had never felt less safe.

                My mind was working in overdrive as I pushed through the forest. I distanced myself from the civilisation and my past home. The forest seemed like safety for now until I was sure I had gotten rid of whoever was following me. As for any further plan, I had no idea. I was going to be improvising from now on.

                Pushing faster and faster, I moved through the forest. My paws relentlessly pushed through the forest floor which moved me further and further away. My senses were fully heightened as I pushed myself to keep moving. I hadn’t heard or smelt anyone so I guessed that I was in the all clear for now. Maybe I had escaped in time.

                Well, how wrong was I?