DAY FOURTEEN AND FIFTEEN

"You know you don't have to do this." Mike gritted his teeth, refusing to give in to the desire to yell in pain as Grace helped him settle on the wheelchair. He collapsed on the chair, and let out the breath he had been holding, tears filling his eyes.

"So sorry, Mike." She patted his shoulders. "Are you sure you don't want to lie back down?"

He shook his head, dreading the thought of returning to that sick bed. His back already ached from lying down for too long. He hadn't seen the sun for over twenty four hours, and he was starting to forget what it looked like.

In truth, he believed he was starting to go crazy, and feel utterly useless just lying there. It made him feel even more sympathetic toward the many kids who were forced to lie in bed for weeks, months, and in several cases, years. It didn't matter that the doctor out rightly denied Mike's request to go outside that morning, he chose to defy the doctor. Which was why, he had to enlist Grace's help for his devious activity, rather than the help of a nurse. But for some reason, he was starting to feel bad about asking her.

"I just hate for you to go through this much trouble trying to please me."

"Considering you just donated a kidney to my son, Mike, I'll climb the highest mountain..."

"Sail cross the seven seas, swim the deepest ocean, crawl through a ring of fire, walk down a hundred highways?" he teased.

She laughed and began pushing him out of the door. "Basically. Except the fire part... And the highway part. I mean, they just make me think of working out and I get exhausted at the very thought of working out."

"I guess I'll just have to settle for what you're good at, right?"

She pushed the button and waited for the elevator doors to part, before wheeling him in. "I cannot thank you enough, Mike."

He shrugged. "How's the little warrior doing?"

"Okay. He's in a lot of pain, but he's alive and I'm grateful for that."

"You should be with him right now."

She shook her head, even as the elevator doors parted. "I should be with you." She began wheeling him down the halls, a shiver of anxiety racing down his spine at the thought of being outside, even if it was only going to be for a few minutes.

"Well, we can't stay very long here," He closed his eyes, enjoying the gush of cold wind that blew against his face. "I don't want to get in trouble, or get you in trouble."

He could feel the snowy path under the wheels as she pushed him further down.

"And I don't want you getting sick." She made her way around him and readjusted his jacket. "Better?" She raised a brow.

"Yeah, thanks."

A soft sigh escaped her lips. Crouching before him, she buried her hands in her pocket and pulled out a tiny box wrapped in a green gift wrap.

"This is not a proposal or anything, is it?” He grinned.

She smiled, but only a little. He could tell she struggled with her emotions as she took his right hand and placed the box in it. "An early Christmas present."

His eyes scanned her weary face. "Do I get to open it right now?"

"Sure."

He offered her one last smile, before glancing down to tear open the box. Inside was a black jewel box. Carefully, he opened it, a small frown of curiosity forming on his face.

"What is it?" He lifted it in his hands and stared at the silver object.

"An angel." She took the necklace from him and held it before him. "It's an angel with her wings wrapped around herself. It symbolizes the soul that no longer treads our world, but is not lost." She leaned forward, her perfume filling his nostrils as her hands worked to hook the necklace around his neck. "It symbolizes Maddie." His heart stopped as she spoke, her warm breath tickling his neck. "It reminds you that Maddie is, and not was. Maddie is, Mike, Maddie will always be..." She leaned back slightly, tears glistening in her eyes. Her palm settled on his chest. "Right here."