|| Prologue

|| Prologue

     "No, definitely." Stiles waved, his phone pressed to his ear as Scott sped away on his green dirt bike. "Dad, I'll be home soon." He tossed his bag of well used lacrosse gear into the back of his jeep and slammed the door shut. "I know I'm late for dinner, I'm sorry," he apologized as he wrapped his jacket tighter around his body, cool air bringing bumps all over his skin.

     The sun was setting over Beacon Hills, the coming night quiet and comforting.

     "Scott and I were practicing for try outs next month. Five minutes, Pops," promised Stiles before climbing into the prized car of his. Dropping his cell into the seat next to him before clipping his seat belt, he brought the engine to life and cranked the heater.

     Only a month of silence and serenity had taken over the chaotic town. December was to bring the unknown, but what was left behind was clear.

     Allison was dead. Aiden was dead and Ethan left. Malia moved weeks ago with her father. Isaac went with Argent to France.

     Now, all that was left was school and the lacrosse season coming up.

     Things always went back to that, but when they did, something worse than before followed it.

     Stiles turned up his music, nodding his head as he drove away from the empty school parking lot. He enjoyed the current quietness of Beacon Hills. It had been a while since there was peace. Humming intensely, he suddenly stopped when his jeep made a strange noise.

     "You okay, baby?" Stiles asked as he stroked the dashboard. Furrowing his eyebrows when normality met him, he went back driving fully focused on the road.

     The cab of Roscoe lurched, sending its driver into a panic. He swore as the steering wheel locked up and no longer had control over the tires. The blue vehicle swerved, shooting off the side of the road.

     Silence took over the woods, a last puff of exhaust coming from the flipped jeep.

     Another town over, a girl named Jacy stirred awake from a dead sleep with wild eyes.