Chapter 7

"Wait you're the hot neighbor girl living with Owein that Tuck won't shut up about?"

Ben guffawed at his younger brother's outburst. I simply raised my eyebrows and directed my attention back to the eldest Joy boy. Tucker looked as if he were going to jump over the couch and murder Elias. The younger boy seemed to realize that he had incited the rage of his older brother and began to sink lower into the couch.

Tucker seemed truly taken aback and I knew that Elias must have just been teasing him rather than genuinely asking.

"Nah, Elias. You're probably thinking of my brother, Harry," I said, trying to ease the tension.

"Oh yeah? He hot?"

"Well, he looks just like me so..."

"Eh."

I fake gasped in offense at his joke. Ben and Tucker watched us both in amusement. The teasing between Elias and I continued until Ben finally broke it up. Tucker sat at the kitchen table, watching us with humor and unease in his brown eyes.

"I should probably go," I announced after the conversation had settled. I rose from the stool I was sitting on and both Ben and Tucker rose with me.

"I'll walk her out," Tucker stated, taking us all by surprise.

As I said goodbye to Ben and Elias, I couldn't help but inspect the eldest Joy boy. He seemed to watch my interactions with his brothers like he was ready for me to eat one of them. His hesitancy toward me and his watchfulness put me on edge.

I could feel anxiety rolling off of the tall young man next to me as we exited the house and walked down the driveway toward my bike. When I looked at him though, he appeared as calm and collected as ever. My abilities were, once again, running rampant when I was near him.

Tucker set me off like a spark to a wildfire.

"So," he began as I began to roll the bike back to my house.

"So?"

"You and Ben are friends, huh?"

My eyes narrowed at his tone. "Looks like it."

He was silent as we neared my house. When we finally reached Owein's driveway he stopped abruptly and turned his feet so he was facing me. His eyes begrudgingly met mine and I saw a fierce look in them.

"Listen, Lou, I'm going to say this and I'm only going to say it once. Ben is mixed up in some shitty stuff. He tends to hang around people he shouldn't, and that's not going to be you. Got it?"

His words bit into me, but I hardly understood.

"Wha-"

"If you're into the same bad shit he's into, then you need to leave him alone. Ben doesn't need any more people dragging him down," Tucker finished.