Additional Scene 4

Scorpio Races- part 4

Puck

The sharp December wind howls around us as we step out into the cold air. We both shiver and wrap our arms around ourselves, having underestimated just how cold it was. Sean wears a sweater and his usual too thin jacket. I wear only the sweater that I had rushed back in the previous day. The sky is one huge cloud, looking to release the first snow of the year.

We head into the stables, feeling the rise in temperature immediately. It is warm and cozy in the stables, and smells of hay and manure, the good kind of manure smell, not the bad. I think of Dove back in her lean-to, waiting for me to come and feed her more oats and expensive hay. She is quickly becoming spoiled. I hope Finn thought to check up on her.

After feeding the two horses, we leave the comfort of the stables and begin our trek toward the Connolly house to check on Dove. We walk side by side, Sean to my left, the bicycle to my right. I have an urge to take Sean's hand in mine as we walk, but the biting cold keeps my free tucked inside my sleeve.  I silently curse myself for not remembering my coat.

Beside me, Sean keeps pace with his head down, bar the quizzical looks he keeps sending my way, and his hands in his pockets. Then, he suddenly stops and shrugs off his jacket. I try to protest when he holds it out for me to put on, but he gives me one of his sharp looks and steps forward with the jacket. "Puck." And that is all he needs to make me cooperate.

For some reason, wearing it brings heat to my cheeks. The jacket itself isn't very warm, but it is an extra layer against the cold. He nods once I put it on, seemingly content with my cooperation. I feel brave in his jacket and step toward him, linking our fingers together and shoving our joint hands into one of the jacket pockets. His hand is warm in mine, and I can feel a smile working its way onto my face. A sideways glance at Sean shows a similar smile tugging at the corner of his lips.

We walk like that for a while before a car comes up beside us. A bright red car. Sean and I exchange a brief glance before moving toward the car. As we approach, the passenger window rolls down to reveal the withered face of Father Mooneyham. "We're headed into town, if you lovebirds would like a lift." I feel my cheeks heat up at his statement and a quick glimpse of Sean shows a slight blush on his cheeks as well.

"We were actually on our way to my house to check on Dove, Father." Only after saying this do I realize the obvious implication that I spent the night with Sean.

"Oh. Well, we can still give you a lift."

I look at Sean, and he nods toward the car. There is no polite way out of this, and I am also to cold to refuse the car's warm interior. One of the women from town, whose name I can't remember, pops the trunk for me.  Sean helps me load my bike in  before we crawl into the warm interior.  As I get into the car, I realize that I am still holding, or gripping more like, Sean's hand. We sit awkwardly in the back for a few moments before Father Mooneyham speaks.

"So, Kate my dear, I hear you've been working at the Malvern stables." A brief nod is the only answer I can give him. I feel nervous for some reason, and I know Sean can sense it because he holds my hand tightly, but not painfully, his shoulder is stiff against mine while he watches me carefully.

" And what are you up to these days my boy." Sean's gaze moves from me to Father Mooneyham and there is a moment of silence before he answers.

"I moved back into my father's house." Father Mooneyham seems slightly curious about this answer and put out by the lack of information. I never thought that Father Mooneyham was a nosy person, but then, he normally doesn't need to ask. We ride the rest of the way home in an awkward silence.

Finn is at the door when he sees the car, and I can see that he is surprised when Sean and I get out of the back and pull my bike from the trunk. I thank them both for the ride and Sean nods in agreement. "Say hello to that brother of yours for me, Kate. I will see you both in church on Sunday. Mr. Kendrick." The Father adds the last part with a nod as the brightly coloured vehicle starts to pull away.

I am not sure what to think of it as I turn toward the house, Sean following closely behind me.