twenty seven

Eve's POV

The time to fulfill my promise about making Alice cupcakes arose. I had once bribed her with baking to make her go to sleep earlier than she would have liked, so now was the time to meet that promise. We were both situated in the kitchen, Alice waiting eagerly, her fingers tapping incessantly against the counter and her eyes burning holes into the tray of freshly baked cupcakes sitting in the middle of the island.

"Can we start decorating, pleeeeeease?" she whined for the fourteenth time, bouncing in her chair with excitement.

"We have to wait for them to cool otherwise the icing will melt and everything will be a mess," I explained, shaking my head at her. A look of disappointment flashed across her face, so I picked up the tray and moved it into the fridge, which would hopefully speed up the cooling time.

She looked confused at my actions, a gentle laugh slipping from my mouth, "The fridge will help them cool faster, Sugar."

We waited for another 5 minutes, Alice nearly going crazy from the multitude of bowls surrounding her containing an assortment of different icing colours and lollies, whilst the cupcakes were nowhere to be seen. The wait for the cupcakes to cool down was so mind consuming that both Alice and I didn't hear Harry arrive home, both of us jumping slightly when he appeared in the doorframe of the kitchen.

Harry's brows scrunched perplexedly as his eyes glanced over the counter, taking in the range of baking decorations until he realized what was going on, his face lighting up instantly and a grin cracking at his lips.

"You baked?" He asked excitedly, and I nodded in response whilst he took a seat next to Alice and kissed her on the cheek. "Where are they then?"

I hadn't baked for Harry in such a long time. Ever since the mixer at my house broke, I hadn't really had much motivation to do anything. Neither one of my parents wanted to replace the mixer, even though they knew how therapeutic baking was for me and how it made me happy. On the other hand, Harry had a brilliant mixer, but I never got around to using it seeing as most of my time spent at Harry's house was spending it with him.

"They're in the fridge because they were too hot to decorate," Alice spoke smartly, rolling her eyes and glaring at the fridge.

I decided to end their suffering, so I took the cupcakes out and set them in front of the two eagerly waiting family members, Alice wasting no time in grabbing one from the tray and setting to work. Harry rolled up his sleeves leisurely, eyes slowly surveying his colour and decoration choices, smiling brightly when he noticed the bowl of gumdrops sitting in front of me.

We spent the next half hour decorating. Harry was doing an impeccable job piping the icing in a perfect swirl on top of the cake, claiming smugly how he learnt the art when he got a job at a bakery when he left home. Once all the cupcakes were decorated, Harry sent Alice off into the living room with a plate of them, leaving us alone in the kitchen.

He stood slowly from his stool on the opposite side of the island, his sleeves still rolled up revealing the littered tattoos all around his wrist, a few covered by the band of his watch. Strolling until he stood in front of me, he reached his arm around me, the close contact of his chest causing me to stumble backwards, my back hitting the edge of the counter. Harry only smirked at my movements, stepping closer towards me in an attempt to trap me against the counter and himself. I wasn't entirely sure what he was playing at, I was flustered and nervous and staring at his chest.

He leant back again, creating a little distance between us and bringing a newly iced cupcake with him. He kept his eyes on mine the whole time, bringing it to his lips and biting slowly into the spongy cake, a few crumbs and a small dollop of icing catching on the corner of his mouth. He smiled in bliss as he chewed, humming appreciatively whilst swallowing his mouthful.