Chapter 28

** REBEL SIMMONS POV **

As soon as we exited the room, Dante pushed me against the wall, trapping me within his muscular arms. A shiver ran down my spine and my mind became fogged with his tantalizing musky scent.

"Where did you learn how to do that?" He whispered in my ear.

"The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy, without fighting. All warfare is based on deception." I breathed out quickly. 

"Sun Tzu. Art of War." Dante said as he pulled his lips away from my ear and gently kissed my neck. "I should have known you'd capitalize on your intellect." Dante said as his lips grazed my skin and his hand cupped my face.

His lips continued to pepper kisses on my skin. I moved my head to give him more access. My heart was pounding and his touch made my knees give our slightly.

"You're-" His sentence was cut short by the sounds of footsteps approaching. He quickly backed away from me as if I was burning his skin. A familiar sting of disappointment shot through my body. I couldn't help the pang of regret for allowing myself to be in that situation once more. 

"Shit Rebel! That was insane! How did you know what to say?" Isa asked as she and Natalia embraced me in a tight hug. Dante's posture stiffened as he watched the embrace.

"Observation and assumptions." I shrugged knowing that they were probably watching on the surveillance cameras.

"And the fluent Russian?" Dante asked, with a curious expression. His cold demeanor returning as he crossed his arms.

"I use to teach myself languages when I was younger. I'm fluent in Russian, German, French, Italian, and Dutch." I stated coldly. His frequent mood changes were giving me whiplash, and I felt a migraine coming on.

"Interesting." Dante said in a calm tone. His hand was brought up to his chin, gently stroking his facial hair.

"So what's with the Balle des Enfers?" I asked as we quickly walked up the flight of stairs, hearing the distant screams of the Russian prisoner begin to fade. 

"It's the worst event of the year." Isa groaned and she rolled her eyes. 

"Also the biggest." Natalia added, seeming rather excited about it.

"As you know, it literally means 'Underworlds Ball'. It's a yearly event where the heads of all the Mafia Families get together in a peaceful and civil manner. It is a tradition in the Mafia world. This year will be the 205th anniversary of the ball." Dante explained as he walked in front of us, not bothering to turn around. "Every family isn't allowed to bring any sort of weapons and killing is forbidden. The only guests allowed to attend would be the direct bloodlines of the families and our Capos."

"And our dates. Don't forget our dates." Natalia said as she beamed. Isa rolled her eyes.

"So if it's so peaceful and civil, why would Pavlovski execute his attack there? Skinkoli mentioned he was in hiding, maybe it's to make his return and exert his dominance by waging war at an event designed for peace?" I thought out loud.

"My thoughts exactly." Dante said as we reached the door. He opened it, and quickly walked in the other direction. Leaving the twins and I alone in the hallway.

"Jerk." Natalia scoffed as we started our walk towards my car.

*************************************************

After we arrived at the Vino mansion, I went straight towards my safe haven: the garage. The sound of Jimi Hendrix once again filling the air of the garage.