XIII

"Rule number one,is that you gotta have fun

"Rule number one,
is that you gotta have fun.
But, baby, when you're done,
you gotta be the first to run."

'Rebekah... I didn't think you'd visit... or ever interact with me again, at all.'

'Yes, well... you should be given the chance to explain yourself.'

Zari smiled and turned around, 'Elena! Please invite Rebekah inside.'

'Come in, Rebekah.'

Rebekah raised her eyebrow, 'That went... very smoothly.'

'I trust you, Elena trusts me. Shall we go to the guest room, for some privacy? Elena is with Damon watching a movie in the living room.'

Rebekah nodded and she followed Zari to the guest room and as she sat down she immediately cut in, 'So, please, explain.'

Zari froze, what would she tell Rebekah? She couldn't possibly tell her the truth, she was Elijah's sister. 'I don't know how.'

Rebekah stared at her friend, she suddenly seemed so helpless and lost, something Rebekah hadn't seen in her eyes before. 'Oh... Zari... what's wrong?'

Zari grabbed her head as a surge of pain went through it and she groaned, what was happening to her? 'Nothing... I'm fine...'

Rebekah shot her a suggesting look, until she saw Zari suddenly becoming paler and paler. 'Why don't you sit down?'

Zari sat down, 'I'm okay... I'm okay. Your mother, she asked me... she asked me to do something, something I see as partially giving up my life. And I couldn't do that if I, if I devoted myself to a family I'm not even part of.'

'It could've saved our family, I could've had a mother again.'

Zari looked down in shame, groaning as she felt a surging pain in her stomach, but she hid it with ease. 'I didn't know. I swear.'

'What did she ask of you?'

Zari hesitated, 'She told me that I had a destiny to full fill and I just... I just don't want that. I don't want a destiny, a fate, a prophecy.'

'Yeah... you've made that clear a couple of times already.'

'I have had some... bad experiences with... fate.'

Zari was barely able to finished her sentence as she collapsed on the ground, alerting Rebekah. 'Oh my god! Elena! Elena!'

In no time Elena and Damon were upstairs and Elena sat down next to her, 'Zari, Zari look at me.'

Damon it into his wrist and let the vampire blood drip into her mouth, but it didn't change anything. Rebekah's phone started ringing and she quickly picked up.

'Rebekah! Elijah is sick! Vampires don't get sick! And I swear I didn't poison him with werewolf venom!'

Rebekah glanced at Zari, 'This time, I'm afraid I have to believe you.'

Elena looked up, 'Wait... this is happening to Elijah too?'

'Yes,' Rebekah told her and she frowned, 'What do you know?'

'We need to get Bonnie and I think we need to get Elijah here... or Zari to Elijah.'

***

'Elena, fess up.'

Elena glanced at Rebekah, 'It's really not my place.'

Niklaus growled, 'If you don't tell me what is going on with my brother, I don't care for your blood, I will rip out your heart.'

Elena stiffened and looked at Bonnie, knowing that after treating the both of them, she must know now too. 'Zari, explained to me, why she didn't help your mother.'

Damon kept glaring at Niklaus and Bonnie continued checking on her patients. Rebekah, became impatient, 'Go on!'

'I'm sorry, it's really not my place.'

Niklaus snarled, making Damon jump in front of Elena. Yet, before he could do anything, Elijah and Zari woke up. 'Oh my god,' Zari groaned as she looked at Elena, 'How wasted did I get this time?'

She frowned when she noticed everyone in the living room and then she noticed Elijah, just awakening on the other couch. She looked under the covers, 'Luckily not that wasted.'

'Why did this happen?!' Niklaus roared.

'What? Me getting drunk? That happens quite often, I'm afr- You're talking about something else, aren't you?'

'You and Elijah passed out... I think it might have something to do with... well you know... fate...' Elena muttered.

'What is going on?' Elijah asked as he sat straight.

Zari's eyes widened, 'Oh crap... oh fucking the fucker the fuck fuck.' She slapped with her hand against her forehead, 'I'm so fucking screwed.'

'I demand to know what is going on!'

Zari sighed, 'It's kind of complicated.'

'I don't care!'

Zari looked at Niklaus, Rebekah, Damon, Elijah and Elena, 'It's because... It's because I'm Elijah's soulmate.'