Chapter Twenty Seven

Rosé

Halloween is tomorrow. There's a bonfire and afterparty at Kai's.

Noah asked me if I wanted to go have coffee and waffles with him and since I've been feeling a little blue, I said yes. At least he wants to hang out with me and treat me right...unlike someone.

"All right, so the essays for Hamlet were fantastic," Mr. Austen, our English Lit professor proudly looks at his students, "We're going to be studying Shakespeare's next piece of art, Romeo and Juliet."

Aaliyah lays her head on her arms, and I grin at her because she's going to fall asleep.

"Romeo and Juliet, a story of star-crossed lovers, a story of forbidden love, a story of tragedy."

I love Romeo and Juliet, my favorite from Shakespeare. Every word is written with such integrity and passion. Though it's a sad ending, the moments in which the two lovers share are so sweet.

"There's a lot of tragic, romantic, and maddening undertones within this story." Mr. Austen grabs his ragged copy of Romeo and Juliet, flipping through the pages before stopping.

He grabs his chalk and scribbles on the blackboard. Everyone pays close attention to what he was writing.

These violent delights have violent ends

And in their triumph die, like fire and powder

Which, as they kiss, consume

"This is the most famous quote from the play. Can anyone explain what it means?" He showcases an eager smile.

A girl with luscious, long, blonde hair raises her hand.

"Luna."

I take a sneak peek at the girl but end up meeting eyes with Daniel who's sitting at the back by the window. For a moment, everything around us washes away like a blur. His emotionless, piercing gaze has me blushing.

"Romeo is rushing into his love for Juliet, Friar Lawrence only gives him advice, saying he should allow the love to grow. Just how their love begun spontaneously and full of desire, their love will ignite and fizzle out in misery," Luna speaks confidently and passionately, "Romeo and Juliet's fate was already written. They merely tried to alter it, but their passion inflamed their destiny."

Mr. Austen smiles.

"I want an essay on extracts that you think define love, fate, and death in this story," he hands out the assignment sheets, "And I want a short story of your own, not much but enough to show what you've learned. It can be based on anything or anyone."

The bell rings and everyone gathers their books and rushes out. Aaliyah and I walk out of the classroom talking about the assignment.

Noah

"Noah." I close my locker when I spot the long blonde hair that I'm so fascinated about every time I see it.

Dude, it's like ice-blonde.

I smile at the girl.

"What's up, Luna?"

Luna holds up my blue notebook with a smile.

"You dropped this."

I grab the book and sigh in relief. I almost lost all my notes. Not good when I want to pass this class.

"Thanks." I put it safely into my locker.

Luna looks at me with an appreciated gleam in her blue eyes.