Chapter 8: Terrors

"Action cures fear, inaction creates terror."

-Douglas Horton

Your blue eyes blinked open slowly, your body raising from the soft mattress you laid on, as your gaze traveled over the dark room slowly.

You couldn't see much. There were no windows in the room and the air felt musky and damp, a foul odor invaded your nostrils as you grabbed your aching head, trying to ease the pain.

You didn't know where you were, or why you were there, but this certainly wasn't the room you fell asleep in.

You slowly moved to stand to your feet, the light from a single torch lit the room around you.

You could hear voices coming from the open doorway. They were all deep and melancholic as they chanted muffled words you couldn't understand.

You trudged your way through the darkness, grabbing the torch from the wall to light your way as you turned down the long, narrow hallway.

The further you walked, the louder the chanting got, they continued to repeat the same words in an unknown language.

You suddenly began to feel queasy, your body becoming heavy and your head becoming light. It was as if their words were beginning to effect you physically.

At the hallway lead out to a small balcony that wrapped around a large, dome-shaped room. The walls were covered in paintings and symbols. But these weren't lie the paintings in the palace. These painting depicted numerous scenes of death and violence in graphic detail, they were monstrous and disgusting. They made you want to throw up as you stared at them.

The entire room was covered in paintings like that, you couldn't turn in any direction without having your eyes assaulted by the disgusting things.

You tore your eyes away from the pictures and moved them down to the scene on the first floor.

What looked to be about a hundred men were standing in a circle around a stone table. They were all wearing bright, red cloaks that covered their faces, only making you more curious to see what they looked like.

You watched as four men suddenly entered the room carrying a large, golden sarcophagus. The lid was closed shut, and the gold on the outside looked to be worn and dirty. This sarcophagus was old, there was no questioning that.

The four men laid the sarcophagus on the stone table, and found their positions in the circle of worshipers, beginning to chant with them.

A man in a black cloak emerged from the darkness, his cloak standing out from the others as they all got on the ground, their chanting growing louder as they bowed to the sarcophagus.

The black cloaked man got on top of the table, standing over the head of the golden sarcophagus, and outstretching his arm over the head. He pulled his cloak back, revealing his tanned forearm as he reached around and pulled out a sharp, black dagger from a pillow two men were holding behind him.

The dagger had odd symbols carved into it, markings that appeared to be something of an evil nature, and you watched with wide eyes as the man in the black cloak used it to cut his arm deeply.

Blood poured out from the man's forearm and dropped directly into the mouth of the sarcophagus, staining the gold with a deep, crimson red.

You watched in horror as the man in black slowly bled out, his blood spilling until he had none left.

He fell to the ground, dead.

The men's chanting grew louder, none of them seemed to care that one of them had just given his life to their stupid of death.