Chapter twenty: Zira's point of view

(okay, so in the words of Mufasa, "we can't dwell on the past". The story may be having huge skips in it now, but I honestly don't have that much time to write everything that happens, so please forgive me. I hope you're enjoying the story so far.)

As the months went by, Zira saw Scar less and less. He always spent time plotting with the hyenas, and so she spent a majority of her time in the pridelands, spending time with her nephew, brother-in-law, sister-in-law and friends. Zira feared that Scar was being much too persistent on dethroning the king, he even almost caused Simba and Nala to lose their lives one day by leading them to the elephant graveyard. Had Zazu not warned Mufasa in time, he hyenas would've had an early snack!!! She wished that Scar would just accept his role as prince and be happy for his brother.

But one day, Scar pushed too far.

Earlier that day, Zira had been laying in the sun just outside of the gorge. Suddenly, she heard Shenzi end a sentence with "...signal from Scar." Curious, Zira crept closer to where the hyenas were talking.

"This has to be the greatest plan that Scar's come up with!!!" Banzai chuckled. "I can't wait for food galore!!!"

"None of us can, but we need to carry out our part first." Shenzi answered. "When Scar gives us the signal, Simba should be in the gorge. We scare the wildebeest by nipping at their heels, causing a stampede. Scar will get Mufasa, who will rush to his son's aid and 'sadly' not get there in time. They'll both be gone, giving Scar and us front row seats to the throne!!!" She laughed. "It's flawless." She then pointed at a ledge, and Zira saw that Scar was standing there, looking at the hyenas. "There he is." Shenzi said. "Let's go."

The hyenas slowly crept into the savanna where the wildebeest were grazing, while Zira ran as fast as she could back to the pridelands. Through the water hole, over the tall grasses, she didn't care what she had to do. She ran up the ledge to pride rock, panting and dashing into the cave. Everyone stared at her as she barged inside.

"Zira!!!" Sarabi exclaimed. "What's the matter?!!!"

"Sarabi..." Zira panted. "It's...Mufasa and...Simba." she said in between breaths.

"Mufasa???" She exclaimed. "Simba??? Zira, what happened???"

As much as she cared for Sarabi, Zira couldn't bear to tell her it was Scar who had set his brother and nephew up. "they're in trouble!!" Zira yelled. "There's a stampede, in the gorge!!!! Both of them are out there!!!!"

Sarabi's eyes grew wide. "Zira, Zazu's with them, wouldn't he have warned us???"

"Not if he's in trouble as well!!!" Zira yelled. Sarabi could tell that her friend was terrified, so she turned to Sarafina.

"Sarafina, you and your pack go and try to rally up the others in case we need a rescue team." She then turned to Nala, whom had been growing into a strong young lioness, but still not old enough to go out on her own. "Nala, you and Mheetu go with Rafiki to find Zazu. If he needs help, then Simba and Mufasa are both in grave danger." She then turned back to Zira. "Zira, you come with me. We're going to the gorge to do what we can." Everyone nodded, and went off to their posts. Upon coming to the gorge, Zira saw no dust from Wildebeest hooves. Maybe they had gotten there before the stampede happened!!! But then, she and Sarabi looked down into the gorge. Mufasa was lying there, not moving, Simba nowhere to be seen. Sarabi gasped and she and Zira ran down to where Mufasa was laying. You could tell that the king was gone. Sarabi's ears went down as he hung her head, tears rolling down her cheeks. Zira's ears went down as well as she tried to comfort her friend.

"Sarabi, I-"

"Why, Zira?!!!!" Sarabi turned around, lashing out on Zira. "Why didn't you warn me sooner?!! I could have done something!!!"

"Sarabi..."

"It's all your fault!!!" As soon as the words left Sarabi's mouth, she remembered Zira's childhood, and wished she could take them back.

"Zira, I-"

"No, Sarabi. I heard you." She looked down angrily. "I know. I know I don't belong here. I know it's my fault."

"Zira, please. I didn't mean-"

"Just leave me alone, Sarabi." She started walking away. "Scar was right. He was right about everything. We'll never be accepted, why keep trying?" She ran out of the gorge, leaving Sarabi there, tears running down her face.