Chapter 25 - Under The Stars

Chapter 25 – Under the Stars

"Mr. Stone will be needing your services again," his words keep replaying in my mind. I feel light-headedness creeping through the holes in my skull. I wish I hadn't left the utility room. "He's going to a family reunion this weekend, and his family and friends are expecting to see you."

It's Angel Grant they want to see, not me, I thought.

Paul can always find a better actress than me. Look for someone who looks like me, and pay her more than how much I got. My business with Hunter Stone was long finished, and I promised to never do something like that again.

I turned down Paul's offer and told him he can find Angel Grant elsewhere. He just has to open his eyes and be observant. Some girl out there might be the perfect actress he's looking for. I just can't do it again. Once is enough.

Besides, I got my pay. That was what I needed, and I am not greedy enough to take more than I need.

As usual, Paul, with his typical business-minded nature, gave me an irresistible counter offer but there's no way I'd accept it.

My legs stop when my gaze falls upon the space just outside our wooden gate. Damien is there, leaning against the backside of his car, his eyes focused on the ground, shaking like he is in some dilemma. For a moment, I thought of running back to the bus stop and returning to Max's.

What is he doing outside my house?

I hear my inner voice screaming inside my head, its intensity getting painstakingly stronger the more I try to make myself believe that his presence is merely a product of my surprised state of mind.

My cheeks glow red when he finally feels my presence, his gaze fixed on me. He straightens himself up, slips both his hands into his pockets after brushing his hair to his back. I can see hesitation surfacing from the look on his face. His only way to overpower it is to bite his lower lip.

Slowly, he walks toward me. I feel my legs glued to the ground, numb, cold and shaking.

"Won't you mind if I ask a little of your time?" he asks. He's only a meter away from me. "I promise it won't take long."

I nod stiffly.

"I have good news for you. I feel that it is best you hear it straight from me. Hayne's been sacked."

And I know it's his doing.

He continues, "Terminated for obvious reasons, but I promise you won't be dragged into this. I made sure nobody gets to know the real story. The administrators decided to let us march next week. They should, or they would have to put up with me for another year." He lets out a small laugh that eventually dies after he sees me glaring at him.

I couldn't help but marvel at how he can turn events so easily.

"I'm sorry for what had happened. Haynes deserves more than termination, but he's old, and he has no family. I could have sent him to jail, but the school interfered. They fear for our school's reputation so they just let Haynes off the hook. I'm really sorry, Angel." He sighs. His eyes look so sincere. "And I have to tell you that it wasn't me."

"I know." My mouth quickly opens without even knowing what I am supposed to say. "I mean..." I stammer as my face flushes, "I know you will never do such a thing to me."

"Listen, I know who did it, and I swear he got what he deserved."

"Who told Haynes, Damien?"

He shakes his head.

"Mike."

So it's clear. The rumors are true about Damien calling off his friendship with Mike.

"I did not expect he'd tell Haynes about us, about that thing."