XV

"I knew I loved you thenbut you'd never know

but you'd never know.
'Cause I played it cool when I was scared of letting go."

Elijah sighed as the phone started ringing, Rebekah and Niklaus weren't bothered to pick it up. He put down his book and picked up the phone, 'With Elijah Mikaelson.'

'Elijah Mikaelson, are you familiar with Za'Rijah?'

'Yes?'

'Are you... interested in her?'

'Excuse me?!'

'Oliver! Get away from the phone! This is not the time to do the overprotective brother act! I'm sorry, you're speaking with me now- Felicity. We're friends of Zari and we'd like to know...'

'Yes, I'm her soulmate.'

'She told you?! Wow... she's really taking steps, baby steps... but still. Anyway, I'm telling you this, because I don't want you to give up on her.'

'She's made it very clear that she wants nothing to do with me.'

'Yeah- sounds a lot like her- but I'm asking you to be there for her. She cares about you, I know she does. She's just never been... very good with... well anything that has to do with emotions- or people.'

'Because of her father.'

'She told you about her father!? Elijah Mikaelson, she's in love with you.— Felicity!— Oh shut up Oliver.'

'My apologies, but I'm afraid Za'Rijah would not agree with that, have a nice day.'

Elijah put down the phone and caught Rebekah staring at him, making him sigh, 'What now, sister?'

'You're soulmates! The universe actually made you soulmates! Bound to be together forever. You can't physically stay apart without taking herbs from a witch or you'll literally get sick. This is your happy ending.'

'Za'Rijah doesn't want to do anything with it and I won't force her to do anything.'

Rebekah stomped out of the room making Niklaus look up, 'You're making the right decision brother, love is weakness.'

Elijah's face hardened, 'Why don't you enlighten Caroline on the matter?'

Niklaus glared at his elder brother, but before anything could happen, the doorbell rang. Elijah opened it only to see Zari, 'Za'Rijah, how can I help you?'

'Rebekah forced me to come over and watch a movie with her.'

Elijah turned around only to see his sister standing behind him with a wicked grin plastered on her face. Zari walked inside and hung her coat on the rack, following Rebekah. She laid down on the couch and sighed, 'So? What movie are we going to watch?'

'Well, I was thinking abou-'

'No romantic movies,' Zari cut in, 'None of that shit.'

'Why don't you pick the film?' Rebekah snapped as she handed over the remote.

Zari clicked, 'How does this thing work?'

Suddenly they saw flashes of the news, Rebekah sighed, 'Come, hand it over.' But Zari just stared at the screen and held a death grip on the remote.

'Oliver Queen, or The Arrow, is now dodging the anti-vigilante law by working for the SCPD. Matthew is in Starling City now, Matthew, how do you think the city will respond to that?'

'Well, I must admit that it was a very good move. People say that he's been helping the SCPD with tracking down his copy-cat. We can't help but wonder, if he's really ready to arrest the person following in his footsteps.'

'Oh god, you sneaky bloody bastard!' Zari muttered under her breath, laughing.

'You know him?' Rebekah asked feigning confusion.

Zari nodded, 'Yeah, he's my husband.'

Rebekah choked on her saliva, 'Your husband!?'

Zari grinned, until she glanced at Elijah who had an amount of pain in his eyes she could comprehend. 'Yes, but it's not like that. It was more of a forced arranged marriage, neither of us really had any choice.'

'Someone forced you and The Arrow to marry? Must've been like... the most powerful person on the planet.'

Zari stiffened at Rebekah's words and Elijah noticed, 'Sister, why don't you pick an action movie for Za'Rijah? She'll enjoy that, I believe.'

Rebekah snatched the tempt out of Zari's hands, 'Only if you join us, brother.'

Elijah glanced at Zari, who nodded and he settled next to her on the couch, reminded of the words of the phone call he had received not so long ago. The movie started and Zari smiled as she heard the sounds of gunshots and screams. She leaned back, only to stiffen when she felt Elijah's chest against her back, she'd forgotten he was sitting there. She glanced at him and he grabbed her waist, pulling her back against his chest and letting her lean into him.

She hated it, the warmth and the comfort, she absolutely resented it. It scared her how much she loved it, how she wanted to close her eyes and feel his hands stroke her head. She hated how calm she felt and she couldn't move away.

'I promised to call someone back and I totally forgot, bye,' Rebekah swiftly exited the room with a wicked grin.

The film had ended and a sigh escaped Zari's lips, alerting Elijah, 'Do you want me to leave?'

Zari shook her head and crawled into his arms, something she would never have seen herself doing. Elijah held her close and buried his face in her neck. 'Elijah?'

'Yes.'

'Don't let go.'

Elijah smiled and he hugged her tighter, 'Never again.'