2. The twins

'I'm Mariposa Williams, I believe my father, Thomas Williams, was admitted just now,' I told the hospital receptionist.

'Are you Thomas and Pandora Williams' family?' The doctor asked me. Well, techhcnically only Thomas Williams', 'yes, I am.'

' I'm sorry, they have both passed away.'

Passed away.

A drop of tear rolled down my face as I processed this information. My father and my stepmother are dead.

Just like mum.

A group of police officers came up and the head said,' Miss Williams, I'm sorry for your loss,' I simply nodded and he continued, 'could you come with us because we want to take care of all Mr and Mrs Williams' property and one very big concern. I followed them to one of the hospital's conference rooms.

When I went in, I saw there are two safety car seats on the conference table. I quickly looked at the officer, and he explained,' we believed that the death of your parents is a planned suicide,' he handed me a letter which had my name written on it- my dad's writing, 'and your brothers were left at home with the nanny.'

He gave me a few moments to read the letter:

Dear Mariposa,
I'm sorry that I made this bad bad decision. My company is in so much debt, Dora and I really had no choice. We didn't want to contact you because we know you just hated us so much, which we understand.
These are your brothers, Theodore and Mateo, non identical twins. Dora just gave birth to them three months ago. They are innocent, we didn't want to involve them. Please take care of them and most importantly, yourself.
Miss you and love you,
Dad

I looked at those babies, one with green eyes, the other one blue. They're both looking at me and sitting peacefully. I remembered when I was a child, I've always wanted siblings but Mum always said that having me was enough.

The police officer came in, 'Miss Williams, according to their wills, you are the twins' legal guardian now. However, due to your age and economic status, it is within your rights to arrange for orphanages to take them in. Have you made a decision yet?'

My mind is messier than ever. What am I supposed to do with the twins? So let me get things right, these are my half brothers whose birth I never heard of and they are only three months old, my dad just committed suicide and left me no money to take care of them. And I potentially have to feed them until they go to university. Wow, sounds like a bright future ahead.

But when I looked at those babies, they're just so cute. With their long eyelashes and rosy cheeks, I really couldn't believe their really my brothers. 

And they are the family that I haven't had in a long long time.

How can I possibly leave them?

I took a deep breath and balled my fist, 'I'll take them.'