Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Iris Parker

I haven't come up with a plan yet, but my decision was made. This play-family wasn't working.

It's probably selfish of me, but I just can't help it. I can't just go on living everyday beside the very man who took everything away from me and my family as if nothing was wrong. Although my kids were much happier than how I've seen them before, in so many ways, it's so wrong.

I feel like I'm betraying my parents, my hardships, my self.

The three-story house stood in front of me reinforced everything that I was feeling. I haven't been here in 5 years either.

In my memory, it used to be so grand, cozy and homely. It was still well taken care of, but it didn't stand as elegant as before. It was my home.

I pressed the door bell and clung tightly on my clutch.

"Who is there?" the voice asked and I was quite surprised that the guard didn't recognize me. Probably someone new.

"Iris... Iris Williams." I said, trying to normalize how that should sound. I was so used on having the Parker name and it sounded weird saying my name how I used to.

"Oh-oh! Miss Williams! We'll open the doors right away and inform Mr. Williams." the guard says. The gate doors started opening.

"No, please don't inform him. I'll surprise him." I smiled sadly.

"Very well, miss."

The gate doors opened and I entered the Williams property. In all honesty, I didn't want to come back here. I didn't want to see my dad. I'm too ashamed by the things that I have done, I was the reason why—

Stop.

I took my time walking to the house and I noticed that there weren't as many maids or guards that were walking around as I remember it to be. The grass and plants weren't as green and the ground wasn't as clean.

I sighed and shook my head. Little details don't matter.

I opened the door and went inside. A maid quickly greeted me by taking my bag. I thanked her briefly before taking a tour of my old home.

The house still smelled of fresh mint and laundry because those are two things my mom loved. Mind and laundry. Why? I never really knew.

The living room was still the same, the furnitures were still here, the daisies still in the vase as if they've lived there for these past fiver years.

My mother's kitchen was still the same, everything was placed the same. I opened the bottom drawer beside the dishwasher and I almost broke into tears when I saw a bar of chocolate hidden at the very back.

My hands were trembling, but I took the chocolate and slowly opened it. I took a bite and instead of a sweet taste, the taste of warm and bitter water overshadowed the chocolate. It was my tears.

"Iris?"

I immediately stopped. My sobs were shushed by the mere voice.

Slowly, with my heart breaking inside my chest, I turned around to look at the man who I adored my whole life.

His hair was a mixture of black and grey. His face had more wrinkles now, his glasses fogging up. His eyes were widened at the sight of me and I slowly let go of the chocolate I was holding. I took big strides of steps to get to him and when I was in front, I embraced him.

He hugged me back and started saying how much he missed me. My heart broke even more and all I could do was apologize.

"I—I'm" the lump in my throat didn't let me speak. "I'm so— s-so sorry, Dad." I kept saying. I repeated and hoped that I would attain forgiveness with enough sincere apologies.