Chapter Nineteen

The breakable items on the tray clatter together, a result of my escape attempt as I deposit them into Buddy's hands, ignoring his look of disbelief, utter confusion, having heard nothing of the argument in the kitchen between Aidan and his housekeeper. However, I don't make it far.

Victoria emerges from the kitchen first, features contorted with suspicion.

"How long have you been out here?"

I stare at her, stiff as a board. I wish it were easier to breathe. "Long enough."

"You were eavesdropping on us?" she accuses, wide-eyed, glancing to Aidan, who exits, wiping his hands on a dishtowel, avoiding my gaze altogether. "Aidan—"

"Leave it alone, Victoria," he admonishes, darkly. Aidan gestures to Bud, relieving him of the dirty dishes.

"She was just with me, Vic," Buddy says to his wife, disapprovingly. "Simmer down, all right?"

She's on the losing side of the fight, which seems new for her. They are clearly close, and my presence is a streak of discontentment in this household.

"I'm going to get some air," I announce, skirting past Aidan, who seems somewhere between mortification and complete frustration. Our glows are gone, reminding me of how quickly the world can disrupt something so pure. I walk to the coat rack, stealing Aidan's oversized coat. While I'm at it, I take gloves and a scarf too just to be safe.

I haven't had fresh air in days, and the first whiff of icy air is hard to take. Still I prevail and shut the door behind me, noticing Victoria and Buddy paved the path on their way here. I don't have it in me to wander, still traumatized by the snow and the forest, so I stand, shivering, just looking at it all, trying to wonder what this place looks like in spring.

I bet it's beautiful.

God, I want a cigarette. Its how I know I'm truly beat—the fact that my urge for nicotine has arisen. It usually only surfaces after guilty sex or a tough case. My time at Hughes manor has warranted an addiction.

I welcome freezing out here rather than hearing another disapproving word from Victoria. When the door opens, I stiffen, only relaxing when it's Buddy that exits, putting on his own winter gear.

"Nothing easy about this place," he sighs, ruefully, coming up beside me. I nod, chuckling darkly.

"You can say that again."

I kick my boot into the snow, watching it pile up into a messy weaning tower.

"The sheriff called earlier today. It's why we trekked up here." He smiles softly when I give him my eyes, anticipating his next words. "The roads will be paved tomorrow. They said mid-afternoon at latest."

"Oh..." I turn my gaze back to the snow. Oh.

That means tomorrow I can go home...I will have to go home.

That means our seclusion is over.

I do my best to not show him how effected I've become.

"Right in time for New Years, too. I bet you'll be glad to go out with your friends and all."

I nod, attempting a smile, remembering my plans with Samantha for our boss's large soiree, an extravagant cluster of the elite and socially relevant people in the West coast. A night to go crazy, because no one will remember it in the morning. I've always gone with Bradley, and that thought is daunting.

The door opens and Victoria steps out, still putting on her coat while Aidan holds the door ajar patiently. Her mouth is a small dot, tense enough to blend in with her skin color.