Skyloft

You were sitting in the sparring hall tracing circles in the dirt with your sword. Today was the Wing Ceremony. All students in your Knight class were expected to participate in order to gain a chance to become senior. Well, all students except Zelda that is. She was playing the role of the "goddess".

'How stupid.' You thought. You didn't really care about the Goddess ritual part. You just thought it would be cool be instantly become a senior knight. You know, for clout.

You were the only girl flying this year and it kinda made you nervous.

You were also aware that Groose would try and rig the competition somehow. Not for you, but for Link. But even if the trap wasn't for you, Groose still expected you to stay out of his way so he could have his 'special moment' with Zelda. You then remembered a cringy conversation you had with him earlier. Groose always had it out for Link and his obvious infatuation for Zelda gave him the motive. You were honestly thankful he didn't have interest in you like that.

You then let out a sigh and pushed a strand of your (H/C) hair out of your face.

"What was that?" You looked up to see the Knight Commander. "You young folk should be excited for the Wing Ceremony. And (Y/N) you have the skill required for the win, you'll have it in the bag."

"I know but with the people in my class it's kinda hard not to think about what could go wrong..." You rested your chin in the palm of your hand and looked back down to the floor

"Oh Groose and them?" He cocked a brow. "Well now that you mention it-"

The door flung open and Link stepped in frantically. After a quick breath he ran up to the Knight Commander.

"I need my sword." He said with a determined look on his face.

"Well sure, it's in the back. What's with the rush?" The Commander asked while Link hurriedly grabbed his weapon.

"My loftwing is missing." Link replied in a worried tone.

"Missing?" You butted in.

"Oh hey (Y/N), good luck on the ceremony today." Link added with a dismissive voice.

"Good luck to you too." You hesitantly flashed him a smile. 'This must be it then.'

"I hope you won't go easy on me. After all,  you're our top flyer." Link complimented you briefly but you could tell he was more worried about finding his loftwing on time. But it was true. While Link seemed to be good at everything he did, there was one thing that you were better at. Flying.

"Haha, I wouldn't slow down for you any day." You let out a chuckle. Link's face then turned into a frown.

"Well I may not even be able to fly even if I wanted to."

"Groose." You clicked your tongue in annoyance and rolled your eyes.

"I knew it." He was relieved at your opinion because it seemed to confirm his suspicion. "Where is there enough space to hide an entire loftwing anyway?"

"Past the waterfall cave." The Knight Commander stated. "But are you sure you'll be able to handle it Link? There's some monsters in there and you seem a little rusty on sword play."

"Well I guess I could use a little instruction. But I don't really have time so uh..." Link scratched the side of his head impatiently.

"Come on now boy," The commander huffed. "(Y/N) make yourself useful and give this kid a wake up call."

'Wow...'

You stood up reluctantly and sighed.

"And quit groaning, this is all in good fun." The older male gave a cheeky grin.

Though initially looking a bit scrawny, immediately after taking a second glance one could see Link radiated courage and physical strength. His dexterity and agility were unmatched in the Knight Academy. He was everyone's first crush and not to mention the best looking guy in your class, although there wasn't any competition for that as the other guys were... average.

"Play fair now." The adult Knight crossed his arms. "Your chain mail is thick enough to absorb most of the hit. Whoever gets tapped first looses."

"Looks like you just want us to put on a show for you." You narrowed your eyes at him.

"Come on Commander, I really need to find-"

"The sooner you do this the sooner you can get back out there. And I don't want to see any halfhearted strikes, ya hear?" Eagus then stepped back onto the platform outside the dirt radius.

You drew your sword and stepped into the circle. You then readied yourself in a fighting stance and waited for Link to do the same.

"Well pal this may be practice but I don't wanna loose..."

"Agreed-" Link wasted no time to lunge at you with a forward stab.

'Easily handled.' You quickly parried it with an underhand swing. But instead of recoiling he stood his ground and pushed down on your blade. The sound of grinding metal echoed in the hall before subsiding when Link broke the parry.

He then leaped back cautiously.

"Your turn." His blue eyes showed confidence and urge. You were holding back his loftwing search after all. A proper session between the two of you would probably drag out.

"As your friend-" You swung at Link from the right but he stepped out of it. "I want you to get out there and find your bird. But as an aspiring classmate I want to impress my teacher. However-" He deflected your next overhand attack. "I wont overlook the circumstances today."

You didn't bother blocking his next strike. But the impact still startled you. It was enough force to knock you down, Link wasn't holding back after all.

"Sorry (Y/N), I'll make it up to you later." Link said apologetically while sheathing his sword.

"Yeah, yeah. Go find your loftwing." You rubbed the back of your head and avoided his eyecontact.

"Well that's a bummer." Commander Eagus shrugged. "But you're free to go Link, as promised."

Without saying anything else, Link slipped out the door and presumably made his way down to the waterfall.

"I should probably leave too." You stood up and dusted yourself off. "I don't really wanna be late."

"I'm looking forward to seeing you fly." The Commander said proudly. "Have fun out there."

"Right." You gave Knight a small wave and a reluctant smile before stepping out of the hall.