Chapter 20: Civil War Part 1

Not even a few hours after Dad left Peter's apartment, Happy showed up in his car, ready to take us to the private plane. I always have a bag packed in Happy's car for emergencies, but poor Peter was caught off guard. Together, we quickly scrambled together a packed bag for him and rushed to Happy's car.

After that, I took a short nap on the way to the airport. I hadn't gotten any sleep in over 48 hours so I was completely exhausted. I was suddenly woken up by the sound of Peter purposely deepening his voice to make it sound like he was a narrator. 

"You know you can't show that to anyone right?" Happy says.

"Yeah, I know. I'm just recording it as a keepsake." Peter says in his normal voice. "Why do they call you Happy anyway?"

To avoid Peter's endless questions, Happy quickly raises the fold between the back seat and the driver's cab. Thankfully, Peter got the memo and put his phone back in his pocket. Chuckling quietly, I lay my head on Peter's lap subconsciously, catching him by surprise. 

"W-what are you chuckling about?" Peter stutters.

"Nothing." I smile before realizing why he was stuttering. Quickly sitting up, I move towards the other side of the seat.

"Sorry... I don't know why I did that." I mumble quietly, nervously playing with the multiple rings on my hand. 

I keep my head pointed towards my hands, quietly cursing myself for what I did. The feeling of an arm suddenly appears around my back, making me jump the tiniest bit. But, of course, Peter picks up on it. 

"I didn't mean to scare you." he says, slowly beginning to move his hand away.

"You didn't, it's just an old habit." I reply. Peter returns his hand back to its previous spot around my shoulders and I snuggle into his side. In a matter of minutes, I fell back to sleep, getting some much-needed rest. 

__________________________

We soon made it to Berlin thanks to Dad's private plane. The ride over was interesting, to say the least, but now I needed to get focused, knowing the fight ahead of me was going to be anything but easy. Happy, Peter, and I were peacefully walking through the streets of Berlin. I was in disguise, a cap and glasses covering my face as I walked with my head pointing at the ground. But I still caught glimpses of Peter's excitement, making me chuckle to myself. 

Not even ten feet away from the doors of the hotel,  I was noticed. And it wasn't in a good way. A crowd of at least fifty people showed up, all of them yelling my name and coupling them with insults. Peter looks at me in both a confused and anxious manner and so I grab his hand and hold onto Happy. 

Thankfully, Happy is used to these kinds of situations and he got us into the hotel both quickly and safely. Dropping Peter's hand from mine, I take off my hat and glasses.

"I'm sorry about that, Peter. You shouldn't have to see that." I say.

"It's okay, Erin." he replies with a bright smile.

We both then follow Happy to our rooms. Peter and I are sharing a room with Happy next door which he specified that nothing should happen while we're in there. I ignored his overprotectiveness and walked into the room, locking myself in the bathroom. Opening my small bag, I pull out the prototype suit that I've been working on.

Pulling on the same black hooded vest and pants, I carefully take out a locked box from my bag. After it scanned my fingerprint, it opens up and reveals a new set of nanotech rings. Carefully taking off my old ones, I replace them with the new ones. I throw my old rings into the locked box and put it back in my backpack. My combat boots were tied on last and when I looked in the mirror, I didn't see Erin Stark anymore. I saw Fade.

Walking out of the bathroom, I see Peter in his old suit vlogging once again. Chuckling quietly, I walk up behind Peter and put both of my hands on his shoulders.

"Did you not see it in your room?" I ask from behind him.

"See what?" Peter says confused. Grabbing his hand, I drag him into another room and show him the suitcase. The case opens since it senses our movement and Peter's eyes grew wide.

"Woah!" he exclaims. 

"Dad and I designed it for you. Now, suit up." I say, activating my nanobots. Within a few seconds, both of my arms were covered in a silver titanium alloy and my partial mask had appeared on my face.

"Wait, why do you get the cooler suit?" Peter asks jokingly.

"Just put the damn suit on, Parker." I say sarcastically before walking out the door.

_________________

Dad quickly arrived outside the hotel and drove us to the airport that Steve and his team were heading to. The building had already been evacuated so we didn't have to worry about civilian casualties. When we arrived at the airport, Dad quickly gave Peter and me our instructions before suiting up and flying off. 

Natasha and I were put together and were told to stay in hiding until Steve showed up. We stayed hidden under one of the overhangs, the helicopter that Steve needs in clear view. I nervously play with a piece of rubble in my hands as we both wait for the fighting to start. Natasha gives me a small side hug, trying to offer me any comfort she could. 

Before words could be exchanged, Steve runs out from a different overhang and towards the helicopter. Dad and Rhodey sent two electronic disrupters onto the flight vehicle and landed right in front of it. 

Unfortunately, the three men keep their voices down, making it impossible to hear their conversation. Soon, T'Challa appears beside Steve which was our cue to appear as well.  Natasha and I calmly walked towards the confrontation and I made my mask disappear before Steve saw us.

"Steve," Natasha says. "you know what's about to happen. Are you sure you want to punch your way out of this one?" 

Steve ignores Natasha's words and instead targets me.

"Do you honestly agree with this, Erin?" he asks me. 

"The accords, no." I begin. "But the result that will happen from it, yes. Steve, I was peacefully walking to my hotel room a few hours ago when an angry mob appeared. And they didn't want my autograph. I have to side with the people."

Steve ignores me after I gave my answer. A pain in my chest suddenly appears and I reroute the feeling into anger. I make my lower face mask appear and get ready to fight.

"Alright, I've run out of patience. Underoos!" Dad yells.

Peter swings in, grabs Steve's shield while simultaneously webbing his hands together, and landing on a nearby trailer. 

"Nice job, kid!" Tony says.

"Thanks! Well, I could've stuck the landing a little better but it's just the new suit. Wait, sorry Mr.Stark it's perfect, thank you." Peter rambles.  

I shake my head at him and he looks back at me and shrugs his shoulders. We both turn back tot he conversation between Steve and Tony and man did I regret it. 

"You've been busy." Steve comments.

"And you've been a complete idiot! Dragging in Clint, 'rescuing' Wanda from a place she didn't want to leave, a safe place. I'm trying to keep-" Dad starts yelling before he takes a deep breath and continues. "I'm trying to keep you from tearing the rest of the Avengers apart."

"You did that when you signed." Steve says simply, obviously doing it to get on Dad's nerves.

"Alright, that's it. You're going to hand over Barnes, now! Because it's us! We're a couple of JSOC guys with no compunction about being impolite!" Dad yells, irritation radiating off of him at this point. 

Steve looks Tony dead in the eye and raises his hands. An arrow appears out of nowhere and breaks Peter's webbing. 

That one simple action was the end of the Avengers.