Chapter 3

Lena sat in her office, staring blankly at the laptop screen that lay in front of her. It was 2 am and she hadn't left work yet, she needed to talk to someone but she had no one to talk to. Although she was on good terms with Kara, it was her that she wanted to talk about.

Just then, as if Eve knew she came into Lena's office and began rambling about their experiments. "Eve?" The Luthor abruptly cut off the partner.

"Yes Ms Luthor?" She replied, taken by some surprise.

"Is it alright if we go a little unprofessional and talk on a personal note? It's completely fine if you say no." Lena asked, not wanting to intrude.

"Have you been doing some late night thinking again? It is 2 AM"

"Wait is it? Oh no Eve it's fine, go home. Why are you still here?" The Luthor was completely unaware of the time.

"Because you are, you overwork yourself too much. Plus you need me here. Now what did you want to talk about?" Eve asked.

"Are you sure Eve? It's okay if you would rather go home." Lena asked, she really didn't want to cross any boundaries.

"I'm here to listen if you need me to."

"Okay Eve. You don't have to answer if you feel it's inappropriate but do you have any relationship experience?" Lena asked although Eve seemed a bit taken back by the question.

"I had a short thing with mike. You know, Kara's friend. But it didn't last very long so I wouldn't say so."

"Oh. What happened?"

"I'm not too sure.. I guess he just liked Kara more."

"Oh... yeah. I forgot they dated." Lena's chest ached - she didn't want to think about the 0% chance of Kara ever liking her too.

Eve must have noticed the look on Lena's face because the next thing she said was "hey, are you okay?"

"Yeah I'm fine. Thanks for the talk Eve but you really should go home now. It's getting late and you need time to rest." Lena didn't really want to talk about this anymore.

Eve got the hint as she got up, said goodbye to Lena and left. Lena was grateful for Eve but she was left with her heard aching for a girl she knew wasn't gay. And she didn't know what to do.

————————————

Sam knocked on the door of Alex's apartment. Alex had been looking after Ruby all evening since Sam had too much work to catch up on.

Alex and Ruby have a strong bond since Alex loves kids and Ruby always needs looking after since her mom, Sam, ran L-Corp. Alex would always tell Ruby stories about Supergirl since she worked with her and Ruby would always listen, fascinated by the facts her mother's friend knew Supergirl, even worked with her.

"Did you two have fun?" Sam questioned as she placed her bag down on Alex's kitchen island. Sam would always stay for a while to talk with Alex and what they'd been up to while she was gone.

"Yeah mom! Alex knows Supergirl and she always tells me stories about the adventures they go on!" Ruby practically shouted, unable to control her excitement over the subject.

Sam and Alex both just smiled at Ruby's excitement over the subject, they both enjoyed seeing her happy and that was something Sam loved about Alex. She loves that she can trust Alex to take care of Ruby since she truly cared for her.

"Ruby go collect your things while I talk to aunt Alex." Sam said as she wanted to thank Alex for looking after Ruby for her. Ruby complied and started wondering off into Alex's apartment to find her things.

"Alex I can never thank you enough for always taking care of Ruby when I can't, it honestly means a lot and-" Sam started.

"It's fine honestly, Sam. I enjoy taking care of Ruby, I love kids, and I hope one day I'll have some of my own." Alex interrupted.

"Can't you adopt?"

"I could. But I don't know Sam, I'm just waiting for the right time I guess, I'm not sure if I could do it alone." Alex confessed and Sam could tell this was a touchy topic.

"Oh, is no one in the picture yet after Maggie? I'm always here if you need to talk Alex" same grabbed both of Alex's hands and held them as they gazed into each other's eyes. Alex realised what was happening and quickly moved away as Ruby came back into the room with her stuff.

Alex inhaled as she spoke "so Ruby, I hope you had a good time and I hope I see you soon."

"Bye Alex!" Ruby shouted back as her and Sam walked out of Alex's apartment.

————————————

A few hours had passed and Alex was sat on her couch watching TV when she heard a knock on the door. "Come in! It's open!" She yelled and Kara walked through.

Alex quickly straightened up her posture to talk to Kara "oh hey! I wasn't expecting you tonight. Is everything okay?"

Kara sighed as she walked over to Alex's couch and plopped herself down onto it. "I don't know Alex" she said as she rubbed her face with her hands.

"Hey Kara what's wrong?" Alex asked, clearly concerned.

Kara sat up and looked at Alex "when you knew you liked Maggie... h-how did you know?"

"Is this about Lena?" Alex smiled while she talked to her sister.

"Uh-I-what? No" Kara tried to form words but failed miserably.

"Crinkle" Alex simply stated, trying to hold back laughter.

Kara let out a hide sigh as she allowed her body to mould into the shape of the couch. "Hey Kara it's okay - one day you might meet someone who doesn't instantly know how to tell you're lying."

"How did you know it was about Lena though?" Kara asked, confused.

"Oh please, the way you two look at each other, it's painfully obvious Kara. You also believe in her no matter what and you only do that for people you truly love."

"How come you never said anything?"

"Kara. I wanted you to tell me when you thought the time was right, when you wanted to talk about it. Not when I did." Alex was doing her best at trying to comfort her sister but she couldn't help but find it quite funny.

"I-Alex I'm speechless." Lara's mind felt like it was going 1000m/ph.

"It's okay, I understand that. Now, do you want to stay for dinner? We can order pizza."

"Only if we also order potstickers." Kara's tone easily perked up at the mention of food.

"Hmm. Okay." Alex agreed with a grin

And with that, Alex picked up her phone and ordered pizza and potstickers. It didn't take long for them to arrive and when they did, the Danvers sisters sat down and ate while they talked. It was nights like these they both loved so much.