Chapter 38

** REBEL SIMMONS POV **

I spent this horrid Christmas Eve morning wrapping gifts then replacing the windshields and windows of my car, the somber melodies of Led Zeppelin striking chords in my uneasy soul. Babe I'm Gonna Leave You started playing on my phone as I sighed as I finished installing the passenger window. I've successfully avoided Dante all day yesterday, and started the process of completely forgetting about him.

His words hit me to the core. Granted, I wasn't asking for exclusivity, more so just a direction we are headed in. After analyzing and over analyzing, my heart began to ache at the realization that Dante will always be his cold menacing self.

In the span of a month and a half, I went from being a poverty ridden Stanford student, to having millions in the bank, to working for the Italian Mafia, being shot, killing two Russian members, and throughout that entire time, I found myself under the mesmerizing trance of the ruthless Don himself. I wouldn't want him to change, he's incredible just the way he is, but I wanted more stability in my already unstable life. A stability he could not offer me.

My phone buzzed, and I grabbed it from my pocket to see that Stephan was FaceTiming me. I put down my tools and answered the call.

"Stephan! To what do I owe the honor." I said smiling.

"I was just thinking about you and wanted to see you. Merry Christmas, gorgeous." Stephan said with a charming smile. He was sitting in a luxurious leather seat in a bright room.

"Merry Christmas, Stephan." I smiled a half smile back at him. "Will you not be joining us today?" I asked curiously. I haven't seen him since the fight erupted between him and Dante.

"Unfortunately not. I've been in France working on getting everything settled for the ball in February." He shrugged. "Duty calls, I guess." He said as he laughed.

"Oh, I'm sorry to hear that." I said frowning.

"Well I'm sorry I won't be able to give you your gift on Christmas. Guess I'll just have to do it when I get back." He said smiling.

"Stephan, you really didn't have to do that." I said smiling at the thought that he got me a gift.

"Now why wouldn't I want to get such an exquisite woman a gift on Christmas?" He said raising an eyebrow and making me laugh as his silly expression.

"When will you be back?" I asked, now feeling obligated to get him a gift.

"I'll be back by New Years Eve. But I do have to go, I can't wait to see you when I get back." He said smiling. We said a quick goodbye and wished each other a Merry Christmas before hanging up. I sighed and walked back to my car picked up where I left off.

Any woman would be absolutely swooning over Stephan. He was handsome, charming, thoughtful... but not Dante.

I heard a soft knock coming from the garage door, and I looked at it as I furrowed my eyebrows.

"Um... come in?" I said in a confused tone, unsure how to respond to this situation.

"Rebel, honey. Are you okay?" Florence asked as she opened the garage door slightly.

"Hey, Florence." I said as I smiled at her. "Just fixing up my car before the festivities." I said as I put down my tools again and she entered the garage. She was dressed casually in white silky pajamas. The collared shirt had red buttons on them, and the pants were loose around her ankles. Apparently it's a tradition to spend Christmas Eve and Christmas in your pajamas in the Vino mansion.

"Something you do to escape, huh?" She laughed as she walked over with two fresh baked blueberry muffins in her hands. She extended out one to me and gave me a gentle smile.