epilogue.

Future. April 20th, 2022.

I ran around my art studio-apartment frantically, attempting my best to zip up my dress. When I had no luck, I ran over to Penelope's apartment across from me, banging on the door. When she answered, she smiled brightly. 

"Zip!" I turned and lifted my hair. She obliged and wished me luck on my date before slamming her door. It was then I realized she was only in a robe. Oh damn, I was cock-blocking!

I glanced in the mirror at my skin-tight long-sleeved black dress. It showed off my curves perfectly, and I knew it was just the kind he liked. 

My phone was buzzing as I slid back into my tall black heels. "Hello?" I answered, sweating profusely. Was I ever not running late? 

"What's all the noise up there?! Stop clacking your damn heels!" The shop owner I lived above, Calbo, shouted at me before hanging up. Great. I rolled my eyes and checked the clock one final time before spraying some perfume and heading out the door. 

I haven't been on a date in nearly a year. We've been so caught up in our worlds that taking time between Art shows and his twenty-four-hour internship seemed immature. Besides, New York City was crazy and navigating life around a big city felt like mission impossible at times. 

Penelope seemed to be perfectly fine with her hook-up and go culture, moving on from guy to guy. I guess it was a more natural way. No strings. I trusted her though because I knew she'd settle down when she was ready. 

My mother was finally seeming to calm down and take counseling more seriously. Our bond, although strange to some, was growing stronger every day. Somehow, I think my moving away for college helped our relationship. My father, on the other hand, continued being his loving self, supporting both of us no matter what. 

I still regularly watch the Titanic (and cry), but my black makeup was no longer as bold and gothic, or the first thing people noticed. Instead, I've been told that my fierce New York street style that now included different colors was a noticeable factor. I was continually getting booked at different Galleries and winning different opportunities to show off my work. I'm lucky enough to be attending art school, and I'm forever thankful to have my best friend right next door as I live atop a grocery store. Honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way. 

And Carson? Well, I'm not really sure what to say about him. 

My handsome and perfect date ran across the street and right to me, smiling brightly. "Hello Bright Eyes." He greeted, kissing me warmly. 

"Hello, Carl." I fit my hand in his and leaned my head on his shoulder as he explained where we're headed. "I missed you."

"I was just watching you paint last night," He furrowed his brows as he looked down at me. 

I shrugged "I always miss you." 

"I always miss you," he says quickly before lowering his head down for one more kiss. "I'm so in love with you, Lena." He stops us and faces me, nerves tracing his face. "Marry me." He placed a ring into the palm of my hand. My heartbeat was practically coming out of my chest. 

He doesn't need to hear me say the words. I jump into his arms and wrap my legs around him, kissing him blissfully.