Chapter 40

** DANTE VINO POV **

The cold breeze caressed my warm skin as I sat in the garden and stared at the horribly wrapped gift between my fingers. It was wrapped multiple times to cover the edges, the flimsy red paper held together by multiple layers of scotch tape.

Should I re-wrap it?
It's hideous.
I should have attempted to put a bow on it.
But it's just going to get ripped open anyways.
Is it too much?
Is it not enough?
Fuck I'm nervous.
Why am I so nervous?
I shouldn't be this damn nervous.

"Dante," my mother said as she placed a hand on my shoulder, startling me. I was so consumed by my thoughts of this horrific looking excuse for a gift that I didn't notice she entered the garden. I quickly shoved the gift in my pocket and heard the paper crinkle even more than it already has.

Fuck.

"You okay son?" She asked gently as she sat next to me.

"I'm fine." I responded coldly as I stared at the roses in front of me.

"Thank you for today. It means more to us than you could ever possibly imagine." She said as her brown eyes started to tear up again.

"Please, mom. No more crying." I sighed as I hugged her.

"I love you son, and I'm so proud of the man you're becoming." She said as more tears flowed down her eyes and onto my shirt.

"Thanks mother." I said as I pulled out of the awkward hug. I was never good at expressing my emotions. I couldn't even remember the last time I told my mother I loved her... or anyone else for that matter.

"That gifts for Rebel isn't it?" She said as she raised an eyebrow at me and wiped the tears from her eyes.

"I don't know what you're talking about." I said as I scooted away from her on the bench and crossed my arms defensively.

"Dante, I'm your mother. You can't hide things from me even if you tried." She said smiling at me. I sighed, knowing that she's right. My mother is practically a private fucking detective when it comes to our family.

"She's going to love anything you give her, you know that right?" She said softly.

"You sound just like her." I laughed, remembering my little vixens words from earlier as I glanced at my hand.

"Maybe because I know what I'm talking about." My mother laughed with me.

"Now go on, don't be a bitch." My mother said as she stood up and smirked.

"Such wonderful words of encouragement, mother." I scoffed as I stood up and dusted myself off. She only laughed as she walked away.

I looked at the garden, pulled out my old and worn knife, and clipped a rose that was perfectly in bloom because it reminded me of a certain hazel eyed girl.

I walked back into the mansion with sweaty palms and flustered thoughts. I made sure to not touch the horrid looking present in my pocket in an attempt to not ruin it further. I knocked on her door once, before barging in only to see that her room was empty.

I walked to the twins room, hellbent on finding her. I knocked and quickly swung open the door to also find it vacant. I growled in annoyance at the massive house and started to search downstairs. My strides were long and quick as I walked down the stairs.

Angelo and Damon was playing on the new gaming console, completely engulfed in their new racing game. Giana, Florence, and Harry were in the kitchen admiring the absurd blue sweater vest Harry now refuses to take off. Annoyance filled me as I walked back into my office.

This was childish. I should have never gotten her a gift. What a waste of time.

I pushed open the wooden doors, practically slamming them into the wall. I walked to my desk and sat in the leather chair. I leaned back, closed my eyes, and ran my hand through my hair.

I took out the lousy gift, and tossed it onto my desk without looking. I heard the shitty paper crinkle again, only adding to my frustration. I grit my teeth as anger consumed me.

I slammed my hand down to grab the stapler, desperately needed to just break something. To my surprise, it wasn't in its usual place. I looked down at my desk and saw a small, gold wrapped present with a small white bow next to my hand. I picked it up, eyeing it curiously.

My father insisted that I never received any type oF gifts growing up. He always said that it would make me weak and that a real man should earn everything he has, not just be given things freely. He forbid my family from giving me anything. It use to bother me when I was younger, but after my 5th birthday, it didn't effect my anymore and I eventually just stopped attending holiday festivities all together. Even when my family tried to sneak me gifts, I refused, always remembering what my father instilled into me since I was born.

I grabbed the paper that was laying underneath the present, and opened it skeptically. The beautiful and elegant penmanship made my heart skip a beat.

Couldn't help but think of you when I saw this.
Merry Christmas Dante.
- Your Little Vixen.

I reread the letter over and over again, finally understanding what Rebel meant about the "thought" behind the gift. I smiled at the mere thought of her just thinking about me. Just this note alone would be the greatest present she could have given me.

I took the box in my rough hands, and quickly ripped it open to reveal a two other boxes. I opened the first one and saw that it was a brand new poker knife. It was sleek, and I flicked my wrist and it quickly opened. I smiled as I examined it, it was perfect, and just what I needed. I quickly reached in my pocket and tossed my old and tattered knife on the table and immediately replaced it with the new one.

I quickly opened the second box and smiled immediately when I saw the all black glock inside. I picked it up, and held it forward, aiming it in front of me. It was a masterpiece. A beautiful masterpiece. I held it closer, examining it when an engraving caught my eye:

To the man who infuriates and ignites my soul all at once.

I began to chuckle as I read, and reread her words. And eventually, I tilted my head back on my seat, a dumb smile plastered across my face. She was my safe haven, and my anger. She drove me more insane than I thought possible, but just being near her brought me tranquility. It was perfect. She was perfect.

I kissed the glock before placing it on my waistband, the cool metal constantly reminding me that it's there.

I emptied out a box on the bookshelf, and placed her note there, keeping it safe just in case I destroy my office in a fit of rage again.

I gently placed Rebels gift in my pocket as I walked downstairs again in another attempt to find her. As I reached the bottom of the stairs, the twins walked through the front door with a somber look on their faces... without my little vixen.

"Where Rebel?" I asked them curiously.

"We just dropped her off." Natalia said as she started to take her boots off.

"Fuck what are we going to do without her for that long?" Isa groaned.

"What do you mean you just dropped her off?" I said in a deadly tone. The twins looked at each other before staring back at me.

"Tell me. Now." I ordered. The twins visibly gulped as their eyes widened.

"She went back home for a few days to visit her family." Gigi said as she walked in from the kitchen.

Home? But this is her home.

"To Seattle? What family? For how long?" I yelled as I ran my hand through my hair.

"Yes, Seattle. And for three days. Now calm down." Gigi ordered as she pointed a finger at me and walked back into the kitchen.

Three days. Three fucking days?

"When was her flight?" I snapped at the twins.

"1AM." They said in unison. I looked at my watch, it was 12:10AM.

I practically ran to the garage and grabbed the keys to my Mercedes G-Wagon. I started the engine and sped out of the estate, flooring it the entire way to the airport.