3 - The Dinner and The Beginning of Change

I star quietly at my father and brother. I expected them to say something about my clothes when I stepped into the dining room, but they didn't even seem to see me walk in. It put me a bit on edge, as I had expected father to say something about it.

Another thing that bothered me was that both of them had started eating shortly after I entered the room, even though Adela wasn't here yet.

I know why they didn't, but it still bothers me now where I see it in person. The reason is quite simple. Adela won't arrive until the food has gotten cold, as she doesn't start getting dressed until called... and by getting dressed I mean as though she had to go to a party.

Adela was consistently late, and Lily used to be as well. Perhaps that's why the servants can't stop glancing at me... or it's because of the night gown.

Lily's father is a tall man with rugged features. He had shiny deep blue hair brushed back. A line of foxy silver hair shone from each of his temples and he was neatly dressed in a navy tuxedo which stood in contrast to his pure white shirt underneath. A single red brooch on the collar of his tuxedo stands out. Lily didn't know what it was, but I was pretty sure it was important, as it was the one thing he always wore no matter the day, time or event.

Right now he is just calmly eating the creamy golden soup in front of us without a word.

Lily's brother, Eric, sits across the table with an air mimicking our father. He is 11 years old and almost has the act down at this point. Still, unlike father it was clear he was displeased with the situation. His eyes, though looking down at the food, are narrowed in irritation. His hair was a deep ocean blue, but under the warm candlelight a few strands shone golden. Like lanterns in the night sky on obon.

While not the time for it, I have to admit I'm curious about the weird hair colors. That aside, my problematic relationship with Eric would require my full attention. I couldn't do it halfheartedly across the dining table, so instead I look to father while testing out my grip on the spoon.

"Father," I call softly. Lily had tried this before, but he usually never answered or told her to mind her manners. Today he went with the former of the two actions. Thus I will make the assumption that I can go on.

"I would like to study commerce." I can feel the eyes of the maids and servants turning to me. I, of course, ignore their misbehavior. Father doesn't reply though.

I clench a hand under the table to work off some discomfort at continuing. He hasn't refused, so I'll try to push the matter a bit further. Lily did just get poisoned, so he might be willing to indulge me in this.

"Surely, if we sell every pink dress in my wardrobe then that would make up for the cost of lessons? I have gotten a bit too old for them as well..." I inquire carefully and tie the two things together.

After selling all those horrid dresses there might just be enough to a couple of reasonable dresses and some commerce lessons. While I do know my basic commerce, I need Lily to know it as well so her father trusts that she knows it.

I watch father carefully, but his expression doesn't really change. Meanwhile the servants look shocked and Eric is giving me a hard stare from across the table.

"..."

No answer?

"The Crown Prince will be visiting tomorrow, it can be discussed after that." An answer came out. An actual answer came out, and with the promise of further discussion. While the relief of that made the staring tolerable... I still have to appear in front of the crown prince in that... I don't want to. I grit my teeth and feel my appetite diminish and the thought as I try to swallow down my pride. I can't demand anything more.