... and the rival

You stared with distaste at the suffocating amount of dresses placed neatly around your room. Each one of them was custom made, tailored to your body from the measurements taken a few weeks ago. The only dress missing among them was your wedding dress, which wouldn't arrive until it was near the wedding date. However, at the moment your wedding wasn't at the pinnacle of your priorities.

No, at the top of the list were the public visits to be made for the next several weeks. There was an extensive amount of places to visit, many fire nation cities and colonies scattered across the fire nation territory. It was all due to how quickly news had spread about the Fire Lord's fiancee, and many were eager to meet you. For two weeks, training had been brutal in order to polish an ideal behavior in you.

You hoped that it would all pay off tomorrow for your first visit. You didn't want to ruin their expectations of you, especially since you loved your nation very much. What worried you the most was the amount of time you would have to spend with Zuko during the trip. He did mention that he would be working during your free time, but it still meant that you were spending a prolonged period of time with him-- and living with him!

"If it isn't the impulsive wife?"

Your thoughts were cut short as you whirled your body around to see Mai at the entrance of your room. You were quite knowledgeable about Mai, hearing many stories about her from Zuko when you were kids. You also heard tidbits of gossip due to her prestigious lineage and past relationship with Zuko. With what you knew, you didn't think she'd have instant access to the Royal Palace, especially the living quarters.

"Well... If it isn't it the woman-who-shouldn't-be-in-the-bedrooms?" you retorted. The unimaginative insult made you cringe inwardly, but your pride didn't allow you to back down.

Mai smirked, and you could have sworn you saw amusement in her orbs. "Whatever. I'm actually here to give Zuko some information he requested."

"You can give it to me," you insisted.

"He specifically instructed that I give it to him," she said as she idly scanned the room. "Nice clothes."

You noticed her sarcasm and clicked your tongue. "Obviously you have something to say to me, so just say it."

Her eyes returned to you and her smirk widened incrementally. "He likes them tough."

Your frown deepened.

"Fine," she bit out. "I wouldn't count on him being the man you once knew."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

She stepped forward. "Zuko is engrossed in his role. You'll be forgotten, and I think you're annoyingly idiotic to jump into a marriage with him."

"Well, I think you're still hung over him," you growled. "But I can't tell whether you're trying to take me down or help me."

"... You're pretty chatty."

"You too."

She dragged out a sigh. "I just don't want to see you hurt Zuko when you realize your mistake."

"Maybe this isn't a mistake."

Another sigh escaped her mouth. "That's up to you to decide. Not me." Without another word, she left you alone in your room with your thoughts. 

Truthfully, you weren't so sure about your marriage with Zuko. It definitely was a spur of the moment thing... But you were sure of two things:

1. You were going to find out during your month long trip whether or not you and Zuko can live with each other forever.

2. Mai was your rival.

3. You were 10 times stronger than Mai.

.... That was three things.

"UGH I HATE MATH!"

"No screaming!" the twin advisors yelled from across the hall.