... and the acceptance

You nervously stood behind a curtain, shielding you from the large gathering of Fire Nation citizens. With it being the final day of the tour, your last stop was at your nation's capital. Many who lived in this prestigious city have already expressed their distaste in you as their future queen, mainly because of your lackluster lineage. Being born from a tiny village with standard parents didn't scream 'queen material'.

Usually, each city instantly regarded you as their next queen. They weren't difficult to please, but this crowd was on a whole other level. Zuko did warn you that they might try to undermine you in public, which frightened you since the last thing you wanted was to make Zuko look like a fool.

On top of that, the Avatar and friends had decided to attend today. It was mainly to boost morale and show that Zuko had the Avatar's support. So if you messed up today, you messed up in front of the most powerful man in the world. 

"Good luck." Avatar Aang patted your shoulder. "I'm sure you'll do great."

"I'm a terrible public speaker though," you sighed.

"Well, I was twelve when I saved the world. How hard can public speaking be?" He tried to calm you down.

"I rather save the world instead of this," you grumbled.

"HA! Me too!" Aang laughed.

"Guys, it's time for her to make an appearance," Katara joined in. She scanned your overall appearance. "Okay good. You're ready to go out."

"Can't you go instead?" you whined to Aang. "These people hate me."

"Well, I'm not marrying Zuko," he innocently countered.

Katara rolled her eyes. "Aang, she's legitimately scared."

Aang's goofy smile turned into a comforting one. "You have nothing to be scared of. If Zuko accepted you, then everyone else will too. You just need to be yourself and make them see what Zuko sees."

"Zuko calls me weird and demonic," you admitted sheepishly.

"And now, please meet the woman who will become your next Fire Queen," Zuko's powerful voice rang. It was your cue to pass through the curtains and into the scrutinizing stares of the people. Your body stayed rooted to where you stood, but Katara gave you a firm push.

Reluctantly, you collected yourself before traveling towards the front of the stage. You gave them a traditional bow as you forced out a smile. "Hello, my name is [Name], and I am honored to be your Fire Queen."

No one applauded. They just stared with narrowed eyes. Yup... Right off the bat, they hated you.

"I have many plans for this great nation," you began your usual speech, the same one you recited in every rally. People usually gobbled it up but not here. They weren't buying your 'let's be a peaceful nation' speech.

"WHY DO WE NEED A QUEEN THAT WANTS TO DIMINISH OUR COUNTRY?"

"Who said that?" Zuko harshly yelled at the audience.

Everyone turned to stare at the middle-aged man. He looked doubtful of your succession, and you couldn't blame him. Even you were doubtful of your role. 

"Take him out of here," Zuko ordered one of the guards in a harsh voice.

"No. No, I'll answer him," you spoke up. 

You cleared your throat, straightened your back as you remembered what Aang said. This was your chance to be yourself. This was the time to be brave and show who you really are.

"For so long, we have been at war with the other nations. This has only brought pain and suffering throughout the world, and we have branded ourselves as enemies of all that is good. Please do not misunderstand my stance on the greatness of the Fire Nation. Wholeheartedly, I love my country, I love my people, and I love my Fire Lord. I believe in this nation, I believe in the good we possess, and I believe that we are the bridge in transitioning the entire world into a more peaceful time. 

Fire Lord Zuko and I will devote all our energy and time into making our nation a pioneer. We will make sure that our children and grandchildren can experience a time full of harmony and joy. I promise you that. All I ask in return is your loyalty to your Fire Lord and to continue loving your nation."

The audience basked in silence. You could practically hear everyone breathing, but you stood firm and remained stoic. Even if you were hated--

The sound of one person clapping caught your attention. Your eyes honed in on the person, a teenager in the midst of puberty with his golden orbs shining brightly. He was in absolute awe of you as if you were his true Fire Queen. That expression... It was the epitome of acceptance.

Soon, many others joined in until everyone was cheering. They hollered out your name as wide grins and teary eyes marked each face. Some were singing the national anthem, while others chanted both Zuko and your names. 

"It looks like they accepted you," Zuko whispered as he returned to your side.

"Y-Yeah." Your expression finally broke into a smile.

His hand intertwined with yours, and you could feel your heart rate speed up. "Thank you," he softly stated as he gazed upon his people.

"For what?"

"For inspiring me," he hummed.