XXIII - Broken

"And I forget to mention-" I paused to swallow a piece of warm soft donut as I continued while we were on our way back home with a dozen of deliciousness. "- Carter isn't even pressing charges,"

The huge grin he had on his face kind of faded and his brows turned to a frown and he briefly looked at me.

"Are you- are you serious?" His smile started showing again and he seemed so genuinely happy that I started feeling giddy myself.

"Alright!" He exclaimed when I nodded, cheering and whooping loudly in excitement.

"I'm homeeee," I sang, walking into my house with Jack behind me, in the happiest mood I've been in a while. "And I've brought doughnuts."

As we walked further into the house it was oddly quiet and when I walked into the kitchen I saw my mom sitting in a slouched position by the kitchen island with her head in her hands.

"Mom. Hi." I said, slowly walking to her slouched figure as she jumped up, a little shocked.

"Honey. I didn't hear you come in..." She said, but I instantly heard that her voice was too pitched to be natural and it was only because she was hiding something. I decided not to say anything in the presence of Jack so I just looked down at my dozen donuts and opened the packet, smiling grandly at her.

"We brought doughnuts!" I sang again, wanting to try and cheer her up.

Her face was troubled as she stared at the doughnuts but not really staring at the doughnuts since her mind was obviously somewhere else.

I closed the flap and just put the box on the counter, taking her hands, not caring whether Jack was here or not anymore.

"What's going on?" I asked in a calm yet stern voice so that she knew she couldn't just shake it off as irrelevant.

Her eyes connected to mine in a flash and just the look was enough to tell me something was seriously wrong.

I started getting scared and I felt her hands squeeze mine before she turned to Jack and then her face twisted in agony and she started crying. I instantly took her in my arms and tried not to cry at her broken self which was obviously impossible. Seeing your mother cry was probably the worst thing ever.

I haven't seen her cry in forever so seeing her like this was literally so painful I couldn't put it in to words.

"I'm here, mom, it's okay." I said. Not because it actually was okay, it was probably anything but, but it was something she needed to hear.

I turned my head slightly to the right where Jack was standing, and signaled for him to come over, and he did.

His arms wrapped around the both of us and it reminded me how much of a part he was in this family.

Even if we weren't... whatever we were, he was still like my moms son considering he was here pretty much every day since we were kids and the bond that we all had was just indescribable.

I heard the front door close and we broke our embrace, turning to the open door of the kitchen where we had a view on the front door, seeing my brother enter.

He stopped in his tracks when he took in my mom and I's tear streaked face, and his somewhat happy face fell.

"What's wrong?" He instantly asked, walking to the kitchen with a worried look on his face.

"I don't know..." I whispered quietly, my voice wavering. My tears had stopped and my eyes were just glazed over.

I held her tightly and stared at my brother who just stood there with his brows furrowed in total confusion.

My mom took a deep breath and pulled away, shaking her head trying to stop crying. I could literally feel my heart breaking in pieces to see her this hurt and that whatever was wrong was seriously wrong.

"Your dad has been having an affair." Her voice eventually croaked.

----

authors note;

is this short idk but it was rushed and yes i just wanted to update i love you all leave a vote