... and the Republic

You nodded your head while muttering, "Uh-huh, I see, I see." Scanning your surroundings with a sharp eye, you gave your critical opinion of the city. "I like what you did with the place."

Zuko stood beside you as he gazed at what lay before him. He swelled with pride that his dream was now completed, but humility reeled him to the ground. "You were part of the design as well."

"But you guys thought up of everything. And then the Earth benders did so amazing with the landscaping," you marveled. "I can't believe everything is actually finished."

As the both of you continued to gaze at your new city, you felt a tug on your sleeves. You met your daughter's uncertain expression and tilted your head. "Hm?"

"Mother, are we going to live here now?"

"Nope, we're still going to live in the palace."

"Then why did you make this place?" she asked in a matter-of-fact tone.

You puffed your lips as you tried to think of a good answer. "Because... Actually, your father is the best person to answer this." You pushed your husband forward as your mind drew a blank.

As he explained the sea of opportunities there was for the new era, you began to wander around the city. Your legs brought you to random areas as you thought of what the future held. The vast differences between the hundred-year war and now had brought on a surge of hope in everyone.

People of all backgrounds were finally going to co-exist. In Republic City, there would be no hatred amongst the benders. It would just be people working together, working towards their dreams, working to provide for their families... Everything was going to be beautiful.

A hand slipped around your waist, and you tilted your head up. Zuko's golden optics met yours, and there was a soft smile on his lips. He was happy, blissfully happy, which was a contagious feeling.

You eased into his hold, resting your head on his shoulder. "I was thinking..."

A chuckle rolled out of his mouth. "That never leads to anything good."

"I have great ideas, thank you very much." You playfully nudged his shoulder with yours. "I was thinking that maybe we should try again."

His eyebrows knit together. "Try what?"

"Child-making."

His eyes darkened, his smile turning devious. "You did say we would be repopulating Republic City."

"And how will you be doing that?" your daughter interrupted.

You clicked your tongue as Zuko coughed into his hand. Being the braver one, you decided to answer. "Well, darling. I suppose it's time that we tell you."

"D-Don't say anything, [Name]," Zuko commanded sternly.

Smile widening, you opened your mouth. Though you weren't sure that disrespecting Zuko's wishes was smart, you wanted to see the traumatized look on your child's face.

After all, this was the city of opportunity. How could you miss this golden opportunity?