Chapter 22

"Yes. Please tell him I'm on my way."

Jiwon hung up and slipped her phone inside her coat pocket. She sauntered along gold columns of the dimly lit hallway, heels clicking against the tiled floor as she passed a row of designer and branded shops. Her footsteps halted in front of an upscale restaurant and she took a deep breathe in.

"Do you have any reservation, Madam?" the maître d', a man around his forties, queried as Jiwon entered the establishment.

"I'm Kim Jiwon," she answered.

The man nodded knowingly, giving the impression they were expecting her, and extended his arms. "Right this way."

Clasping her black suede clutch, Jiwon silently followed him.

Contrary to the gloomy hallway outside, brightly lit chandeliers illuminated the wide dining area, jazz melodies animated the atmosphere, and pacific artworks decorated the walls.

Despite the time being half past eleven, a perfect hour for lunch, guests sporadically occupied the tables. There were hardly any that Jiwon only needed one hand to count.

At the far end of the restaurant sat Jiwon's company for today. When their eyes met, the businessman quickly stood up and put on a welcoming expression.

Im Changsun. His name echoed inside her head as she took in his figure, clad in a black suit with a white dress-shirt underneath. Even his tie matched his shoes that he'd make a perfect picture to represent the word businessman.

Im Changsun was not someone Jiwon had personally interacted with in the past. Their paths rarely crossed and in those times that it did, the opportunity to be acquainted never catalyzed. His relation to the Kims were merely limited to business based on the conversations that rolled during breakfast whenever Kim Jungsoo raised discussions about the man.

So it had been a paradox of bewilderment and expectation at the same time, when Jiwon received a lunch invitation from no other than the man himself.

"It delights me to see you here, Ms. Kim Jiwon," Changsun remarked whilst they settled on their seats.

"It was on a short notice, but I had my schedule arranged. I wouldn't dare reject a request from you, Mr. Im."

"Calling me Mr. Im reminds me of my uncle," he said, amusement on his tone. "And I don't think our ages are far apart. Please just call me Changsun."

"Certainly," responded Jiwon with a dainty chuckle.

Between her brother and the man sitting across her, Changsun was older only by a year. He was the nephew of the late Im Gyeonghui, who had died after being comatosed for three months due to a car accident.

Having no one but a sixteen year old daughter to acquire Im Gyeonghui's wealth, the business had been left to the directives of Im Changsun. It only took him a year for everyone to believe that the young businessman was equipped with the skills to survive this industry.

Now Im Changsun had his own name, not just a shadow behind Im Gyeonghui's legacy.

"I've heard about your engagement with Min Yoongi. Congratulations," Changsun opened up, the smile on his lips too strained for Jiwon's liking. "Your hands must be full with the preparations."

"Quite so." Jiwon played along, returning the smile. Although she'd had to admit, his knowledge about her engagement irked her. Nonetheless, she knew it was normal for people within their social circle to be aware about it.

"When does your family plan to let the public know about this?" He reached for a drink on the table.

Jiwon prevented herself from scoffing at the sudden question. A few days ago, her father had told her about receiveng a call from a broadcasting station who wanted to confirm the rumor. Now, all that was left was a green light from Kim Jungsoo, and Jiwon was hell-bent on preventing him from dropping the signal.

"Yoongi and I wish to have our privacy about it for now," she simply answered. "I do wonder though. What could be the reason for the sudden lunch invitation?"

Changsun cleared his throat, averting his gaze momentarily before focusing back at Jiwon.

"Let's cut to the chase, shall we?" His words carried a friendly and borderline guarded tone.

"I was hoping we would," said Jiwon.

"I am aware you have been..." Changsun trailed off, circling his wine glass on his hand and shot Jiwon a pointed look. "Correct me if my information is wrong, but I was told you have been curious over my business transactions."

A smile curled on Jiwon's lips. "I am."

There was a pause.

Changsun blinked at Jiwon, as if he weren't expecting her to just admit it like that. His eyes narrowed by a fraction.

"And the reason is?"

"It just intrigues me a lot." Jiwon shifted in her seat. "I have received an email with allegations about you and your wealth." Jiwon gave it a thought, her eyes flashed with concern and wonder. "I just want to prove whoever is trying to denigrate you that they are wrong. After all, now that you are part of the Kims' business—a family should I say?" Jiwon lightly chuckled. "It would be a disappointment on our part if we couldn't defend our allies."

"But that doesn't really bother you, does it?" Jiwon added when she was answered with silence.

Changsun laughed, shaking his head. "Of course not."

"I'm still on the process of finding out where it came from before I inform you about it, but I guess I had been too late now that it had come to your attention already."

By now, the words naturally flew out of her mouth, her responses completely taking over the conversation.

Sadly, Im Changsun overlooked this tiny detail, that once Jiwon had the situation analyzed, she took it as nothing more than a child's play.

And now that he seemed to be challenging her to a game of lies and deception, how wrong of him to think he'd outsmart her.

Im Changsun might be a great businessman with his eloquent tone and smooth words. But evidently, Jiwon had won this discussion.

Then again, how could she not? When in the first place, Jiwon was the Kims' biggest lie told and kept at the same time.

"So..." mused Jiwon. "Shall we order?"

— ✿ —
I hope your holidays went well, everyone! Kinda late with the greetings and everything, but wishing you all a bright and great year ahead!! May more opportunities and blessings cross your paths. Thank you for always staying with me, I love you all a lot and I truly appreciate each and every one of you. Take care and stay hydrated! all the love!