Chapter 1

Beatrice POV

Finals were done. A week of school left till graduation. I couldn't be more ecstatic. 

It was over. Finally over. I'm done.

I'm done. The realization finally hit and I felt like I would explode.

Freedom is here and I can finally make a choice as to what I want to be a part of. 

Politics. I knew it the moment I came to high school and people started calling me "bossy", "dictionary", "rapper". Apparently, if you talk too fast and you know what you're talking about, you're a rapper here. Oh and some names never change, the classic "nerd" and "stone-cold bitch". 

Oh, how I'll miss high school.

Everything we all complained about; the uniform, cafeteria food, 6 hours of continuous lecturing, it was all coming to a bittersweet end. 

"Beatrice!" Caroline's high pitched voice snapped me back to reality.

"What?" I asked.

"You keep zoning out," she said.

 Even though she was used to my zoning out I could make out the hurt tone in her voice. She was my best friend, we'd only known each other for 2 years but it was enough. She got me, as different as we were. 

"I'm sorry" I reply and I truly mean it. High school ending is hard for most people who really liked it.

"I'm trying to ask you what I should do about Holden. I don't even know if we'll still be a thing after school ends, I mean he's going all the way to Austrailia" she said, her voice strained and I could see her piercing blue eyes slightly brimming with tears.

I felt bad for her, but I didn't know how to fix it. Other girls would just hug her and tell her its okay, but I was not that friend. I was the friend who would probably end up making pro-con lists and drawing mind-maps to come up with a logical solution. 

Feelings? They don't have a logical solution. I learned that the hard way a year ago. 

Salty? I'm the whole freaking ocean about it. That's a different story.

"Well, you've been together for four years, it isn't my place to tell you what you should do." I said, half-heartedly. 

"I suppose," she said.

"Come on, we have 4 minutes till history, we're going to be late," I said, changing the subject, although I really was concerned we were going to be late. 

"Beatrice, school doesn't matter anymore," she said laughing. I loved her laugh. Caroline should always be laughing. That's how I'll always remember her. 

As we were about to enter history, barely making it in time, a skinny guy, way too old for high school walked up to us in a FedEx uniform. He looked like he hated his job.

"Are you Beatrice Stenson?" he demanded. Excuse me, we don't need the attitude.

"Yes" I said, annoyed.

"This is for you" he said handing me a bouquet of white roses surrounded by silver satin and a sparkling note attached to the side.

I took it hesitantly, I would have rejected it all together had it not been perfectly clear it was for me.

"Do I need to pay for this?" Far be it for a secret admirer of mine to be cheap, but luck has never been a strong suit. 

"No, just sign," he said monotonously. I signed and took the roses, but I was more eager to read the note.

"If con is the opposite of pro, then isn't Congress the opposite of progress?" ~ Jon Stewart 

The weirdest snort escaped me, as Caroline peered over in confusion. 

While I was preoccupied with the joke, she pointed something out.

"What does that mean?" she asked curiously. I followed her perfectly manicured finger as it traced one number written in horrible handwriting with a silver sharpie: 5.

What could that possibly mean?