12.

apollo's constellations ;

The sky was a deep shade of blue - so dark that Nate almost didn't see the rapid onslaught of clouds that threatened to turn it grey. He'd been staring into the distance for a while, all the noise around him blurred into an inaudible low sound. His last real night to indulge in leisurely things - yet he couldn't bring himself to pretend to care.

All his friends were dancing the night away, drinking themselves into oblivion and loving with everything they had. Yet the golden boy found himself on the skirt of the gym entrance, where a soft drizzle began to fall on him and cover the green pastures that surrounded the field. Where the moon had been muted to a soft glow and the stars were hidden. He'd come out here to free himself - to bring life back to his numb thoughts.

Numb.

No, that couldn't be true. He was, in fact, hypersensitive. Overly aware. Because even as he had stood at the sidelines watching the dance floor with an intense gaze, he felt tingles and heat climb up his body like vines on a wall. Even when their hands had subtly brushed as he handed over the tasteless punch, he felt shocks of excitement light his skin on fire.

No, he was far from numb.

Iridescent blue eyes and reddening plump lips filled his mind. Swaying hips and gentle hidden touches overtaking his body. A distinct smell of cherries blinding his senses to the point where he was sure he was drunk.

He untied his bow tie, letting the first few buttons of his crisp white shirt loose in hopes of evening out his shallow breathing. And at that point, not even Nate could deceive himself as to why he'd so suddenly stumbled out of the gym with the excuse that he was feeling confined by the walls and bodies.

What he'd really been trying to do was escape. Only this time he wasn't trying to escape the dull blue that was his life, but the radiant purple that Apollo's crimson red brought. He was trying to escape the only light in his life. The only thing that brought him pure unadulterated happiness.

Starry Eyes.

Maybe he did it because it seemed so far from reach - like the purple was a faint glow, too far out for him to obtain. Because Apollo disappearing on him left a larger scar than he cared to admit.

Yet.

"What are you doing out here?" he was reasonably startled by the voice. He didn't give into the temptation to turn around.

He shoved his hand into his pocket to take ahold of his desired object as his heart rate picked up. His hands trembled as he put another coffin nail between his lips. How the fuck else was he supposed to act stoic? Like the boy behind him didn't do things to him that he could've never imagined just by staring?