Chapter 8

Well I have one last update for 2018. Is it me or has this year gone on for forever? XD Anyway, I hope you enjoy this and have a fabulous last day of the year! Love y'all and I wish you a very happy new year!

Also, I have a little trouble with keeping everyone in character, so if anyone seems off, I'm sorry about it in advance. I try X'D

-

Percy's expression was almost unnaturally gentle and soft, his lashes dark against his tanned cheekbones and his chest rising and falling evenly with each deep breath he took. The exact picture of someone in a peaceful slumber.

He wasn't though.

He hadn't been the entire time, but so far no one had managed to realize.

His mind was racing with thoughts, as per usual. He could hear Wanda breathing slowly from the chair beside him. Now she was definitely sleeping. And had been for quite a long time. So had Sam, actually. He had been hearing small snores coming from the man's direction occasionally, and when he had looked earlier, he had seen him strung over two seats with his eyes closed and his mouth slightly agape. He wouldn't have been surprised if he started to drool.

He'd been faking his relaxed pose for just over an hour or so. It was difficult to tell time with his eyes closed after all, but he could estimate pretty well. After all, he did have practice. He had often had to sit and wait for targets and perfect opportunities to arrive in order to complete his missions the best way he could. Even if that meant remaining still for hours on end.

Maintaining his current position had been far too easy, and none of them even doubted him. He wasn't sure if that disappointed or relieved him. They had managed to lose Stark quickly enough after they had directed their course into his storm, allowing him to disband it again sooner than he had thought he would. That had been great, since he hadn't been sure he would be able to last much longer holding it up. He'd probably have passed out right there and then. Thankfully, that had not been the case. Things had calmed down after that, and everyone had settled down quickly enough.

He shifted in his seat and tilted his head further back against the headrest, an almost satisfied sigh-like breath escaping his slightly parted lips. There was no sound save for the gentle humming of the jet's purring engine beneath his feet and the soft living signs of the other passengers. The lights inside had dimmed until the cabin was bathed in comfortable shadows and only the barest hints of illumination were left present, as if they were twinkling stars in the sky.

Before he had started feigning sleep, he had noticed that the sun had already set a while ago in the area they were currently flying over. The outside world was dark and silent, the clouds their only companion in the quiet of the night. The sky shone with the deepest hues of blue and black, the only break in the constant darkness being the glimmering starshine above and the white clouds that drifted past like great ethereal beings.

Always moving, shifting, changing.

Never intruding.

Never disturbing.

Simply being.

Peaceful and benign.

Beautiful in an otherworldly, yet natural way.

The aircraft swayed from side to side slowly, the feeling reminding him of the soothing feeling of being in water, waves rippling and washing over him, his body rocking along gently. Going along with the flow without any complaint. Smoothly. Placidly.

A warmth spread through his chest at the comparison's rather pleasant familiarity. The vague thought put a serene smile onto his face, and in the back of his mind he was definitely glad that it must've looked like he was just dreaming. The entire atmosphere just felt like what he imagined being at your home was like. Subdued. Comfortable. Safe. He couldn't recall feeling this at ease in a long time.