➵ XI. The Revealing

Friday, December 22nd, 2018, 7:00am

Dollhouse - Melanie Martinez ^

Rei's POV

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Clove asks.

"I... I'm sure," I reply. "I want to give Asher a second chance, and I don't want to do it as someone else without him knowing."

Zaine smiles. "I'm proud of you, Reina. It can take a lot to face a bad past... I should know."

He looks down and mumbles the last part under his breath, but I still hear him.

"Your past is in the past, and that's where it's staying," I say. "We're not letting you get abused or bullied again."

"Amen to that," Killian says loudly.

My eyes narrow when I spot a slight grimace cross Zaine's face before it's gone. "What is it?"

Zaine looks up at me. "Just bad memories."

Slowly, I nod, seeing the sincerity in his eyes, but something's telling me that's just not it, that he's not telling us something.

Killian wraps his arms around Zaine, kissing his forehead. Zaine smiles, hugging Killian back and resting his head on his boyfriend's shoulder.

"Can we go now?" Rhea asks.

"Yeah, let's go!" Chase adds.

"We go whenever Changeling's ready," I say.

Zaine place a quick kiss on Killian's lips then turns to me and the twins. "OK, let's go."

The four of us put on our coats and boots and head outside, closing the door behind us. Chase and Rhea walk in front of Zaine and I, giggling and stomping in the snow. Zaine and I hold hands as we walk, talking and laughing together.

You better not steal my boyfriend, Reina, Killian says jokingly.

I don't want him in more than a sibling relationship, I reply. Your boyfriend is all yours.

Forever, Zaine adds.

Good, Killian says. We'll see you later. And if he faints again, you better take care of him, Reina.

Of course, I reply. Remember you're not the only one who cares about Changeling.

I know, Killian says. I just wanted to be sure you wouldn't just leave him unconscious.

"Y'know Reina," Zaine says, "maybe you could mind-link your dad so he goes to the pack house now and we don't have to ask Asher to do it when we get there and wait."

I nod, "good idea."

I hesitate slightly.

"Nervous?" Zaine asks. I nod. "It's alright. It's natural to be nervous, or scared. Remember how nervous Killian was about confessing to me?"

I chuckle slightly. "He was afraid he'd scare you away. OK, I'll mind-link him."

For the first time in two years, I pull up my mind-link to my dad. He's mind-linked me many times over the years, but I've never replied.

Hey, Dad, I say nervously.

Rei? His reply is immediate. Is that really you?

Yeah, I say, smiling slightly.

Where are you? Are you alright? Dad asks.

I'm fine, I reply. Um, could you do me a favour?