The Ivy League Part 7

Now that the introductions had been made, and I had been forced to 'sweat it out' for a while, everyone became a lot more alert. Kyle sat up straighter, taking one arm from around Thing Two's - excuse me, Clarissa's, shoulder. Eric stopped looking up at Auburn, I mean Sharon, and Shane sleepily took his head off her knee and sat up, too. Grace tensed up, and beside her, the grin had slid off of Mark's face. Only Missy and the gorgeous boy, Nate, remained still.

"Well, Courtney," Ellen spoke in a commanding voice into the dead silence. "The initiation ceremony is about to begin. Before, however, we accept you as a member of the Ivy League, you must understand the full importance and responsibility that comes with becoming a part of our circle."

Missy gave a dry sob.

"Do you truly know what it means to be a Leaguer?"

"Do tell."

She looked annoyed about that but pretended to continue as though I hadn't spoken. But a shadow of Mark's grin was back now.

"The Ivy League has existed in this school since 1962, being established merely eight years after the actual Ivy League became instated. As we are all aware, only eight universities are members of the Ivy League we know today. However, here at Thornwell Private Academy, home of our own Leaguers, we allow only twelve at a time to be a part of our hallowed circle. We offer you a place today."

She smirked as Missy began to cry in earnest again. You know, I had felt sorry for her earlier, but honestly! Enough acting the human hosepipe! Really, being kicked out was the best thing that had ever happened to her.

"We are the symbols of prestige, the faces of the elite," Ellen was continuing, "We are the royalty reigning these halls, until we leave this place of learning and step into the world beyond, giving those beneath us our thrones. We are the bluebloods, the ones people look up to."

There was complete silence and kids standing around seemed to lean in to hear her words, hanging on them. I was personally struggling not to punch something or someone out of sheer annoyance at the shallowness going on around me. But not quite yet.

"With honor comes responsibility, though, and like our examples before us, we strive to achieve academic excellence, not only social elitism. You must be ready to contribute to this kingdom we have built, this school. Whether through athletics or the arts, your academics shouldn't be the only good thing about you. You must make yourself a name, so that others may know who you are and desire to be like you. For we are the role models to our followers, and we owe them a good example."

Those followers were all but drooling in their admiration. Obviously, they considered their precious bluebloods to be excellent role models; how they worked THAT one out was beyond me.

Ellen must have gotten it all out of her system because she finally finished lecturing. Elbowing Nate in the gut, all the Leaguers joined hands. Some reached up to those on higher steps while others leaned down. Ellen sat smugly, holding Nate and Mark's hands.

"Courtney Elizabeth Meyers, you may repeat after us: futurus lego est futurus elite." They all chanted the now-familiar phrase and looked solemnly at me, waiting.

I took a deep breath.

"Where's the part where you ask me if I want to be a part of this?"

Ellen arched a perfect eyebrow. "I do not like to waste my breath or our time on pointless questions we all know the answer to."

I shook my head. "Ellen, Ellen," I said condescendingly but anger still lacing my voice a bit, "I really don't think you understand just how much I want to give that answer."