Chapter 13: Redamancy

Paige and Jessica arrived early this morning, and they tried to coax me out of bed

Paige and Jessica arrived early this morning, and they tried to coax me out of bed. I don't want to see anyone, not after what Rowan said to me. Today I am supposed to be doing a reading at a local bookstore called, Mile High Books. This store donates half of its profits to local charities, so it is only right that I do the same. They literally dragged me out of my bed this morning.

"You have the reading in an hour!" Paige yells at me trying to rip the blanket off of me. I grip it tightly, pretending I'm asleep.

"That requires that you get out of bed. So, GET UP!" Jessica yells at me trying to grab my feet to pull me.

"No need to scream. And no!" I yell at both of them pushing myself further into my bed.

"You are going to have to face him eventually! So, why not start now!" Jessica says trying to grab my feet, again.

"What happened from yesterday to today?" Paige asks.

"Rowan called her a mistake and now she is heartbroken, and this would all be solved if she would just admit her feelings!"

"Why are you talking about me like I am not in the room?" I asked lifting my head from my pillow to look at them.

"So, we can get it through your thick skull that you guys love each other!" Jessica says yanking the blanket from my hands.

"I am not telling him because I will get rejected. I will be stuck with unrequited love," I say sitting up. I really don't like feeling this way, but he broke my heart.

"How do you know that? I thought the same thing before I told my now husband how I felt," Paige says walking over to my closet and pulling out clothes for me to wear.

"Rowan is different. We were raised together. He probably sees me as a sister," I say.

"No offense but he wasn't as drunk as you think he was, and he doesn't sleep with someone without a reason. You are his reason," Jessica tries to explain.

"I am just the person he was born to protect," I whisper, letting a tear roll down my face. Jessica and Paige sit down next to me on my bed. They start to rub my back like sisters and mothers would for an upset child.

"You are the reason he comes home every night. You are the reason that he is in New York with you right now. You are the reason he stays at your side," Paige says brushing the hair out of my face and wiping my tears.

"You may be the person he has to protect, but we see the way you guys look at each other. You don't see that kind of bond every day. I get that you have to go back to marry someone else, but why not spend your time here in New York with him. Then when you go back, you tell your parents that you found who you love. If he doesn't feel the same, then there is someone out there." I know that they are trying their best, but I don't know what to do. I don't know whether I should feel angry for the way he treated me, or if I should feel sad because of the way he feels. I gave the world to him, but he took it, without him knowing, and threw it in the trash. I wanted to be the one person that he loved for all eternity, but who could love someone like me? I look at the two people sitting right next to me and I realize that they are right. I can't wallow in self-pity, I need to get up and show him that he can't hurt me and do whatever he wants, but he will never break me, even though he did.