Wing Ceremony

The warm sun hit your face and the light breeze ruffled your hair. Skyloft was beautiful- but boring. There was nothing thrilling about it. Yet, this was to be your home forever.

You calmly headed around the Knight Academy and down the steps towards the Bazaar. You walked rather slowly admiring the scenery, taking note of the leveled north wind.

'Shouldn't have a problem flying, I just have to account for southern drag.'

You arrived at the Plaza where Groose and his 'gang' were already waiting, snickering among themselves.

"Oi (Y/N)!" The redhead walked up to you with a smirk.

'Goddamnit.'

"Oh hi Groose." Your voice sounded more annoyed than you wanted it to but Groose didn't seem to care. There was just an air about him that made you want to leave the immediate area. He hadn't done anything explicitly mean to you but you just didn't like him.

"Aren't you excited?" He rubbed his chin.

"For the Wing Ceremony?" You replied nonchalantly.

"No." His smirk stretched further. "Today is the day I will be alone with Zelda atop of the Goddess statue. Fate is bringing us together." Groose cooed.

"Fate?" You tilted your head back.

"Mm yes, sweet fate." He nodded to himself with his amber eyes closed in thought. "Fate also wills it for Link to not participate."

'I knew it. But Link should be out of the caves by now.'

"Anyway," You tried changing the subject. "I kinda feel bad for Fledge."

Your comment made Groose and his goons laugh.

"I don't know why you feel sorry for that weakling." He crossed his arms. "He was too pathetic to make the cut."

"Well I don't know about pathetic but he is on the more reserved side." You responded in his defense.

"The guy's ass probably weighed him down during the flight exams." Cawlin said with a smirk.

"Why did you bring up his ass Cawlin?" Strich mocked.

Cawlin was going to reply but instead the three males in front of you suddenly glared in unison. You then felt a firm hand on your shoulder.

"Uh-" You turned to see Link. "Find your bird?"

"Yeah." He narrowed his eyes at Groose.

"Alright Knights!" You all turned to face Owlan. "Glad to see you could make it Link. We're starting. Let's go over the rules."

The teacher then began to explain your task. He gestured to the golden loftwing a few times as Gaepora nodded and made sounds of approval beside him. In the end your task was simple. Get the small, ornate statue tied to the loftwing's foot.

"Are you guys ready?" You zoned back in after hearing Geapora's booming voice. The five of you got ready to sprint off the dock. Nerve and excitement built up in your stomach rapidly.

"Go!"

You bolted off the wooden platform and called your loftwing with a strong whistle.

Within seconds you were scooped up as your bird gave an exhilarated cry. With the golden loftwing in sight you pressed on your bird's ribs as a signal to go faster.

'That senior placement is mine!'

You were ahead of the group. Groose was behind you with Cawlin and Strich trailing him and Link was flying above you.

The yellow loftwing wasn't easy to stay on. It moved unpredictability but you managed to keep close to it. As long as you copied it's movements there was no way to loose it.

Soon Link was flying directly under you. He was catching up quickly.

"Oh no you don't ugly!" Groose and his goons flew to the blonde's sides and began throwing eggs at him. You couldn't help but laugh. 'Was this really their backup?' Yet you still watched in awe of Link's aerobics. How he was able to remain calm while being thrown eggs at and maintain a stable distance from the golden loft wing would allude you. It seemed as if he had done it before.

You looked forward again and concentrated on the stone bird. But every time you went to grab it the loftwing dove down or swooped up.

"Quit moving!" You muttered angrily to yourself.

In the background you heard the other loftwings squawking but they weren't close.

The wind picked up and there was a loud flapping noise. You hair flew in front of your line of sight and dirt hit your face. Your bird made a maneuver to the side and slowed down. In a brief moment of clear sight you saw crimson feathers. There was a high pitch victorious screech followed by a grunt of frustration.

Link had pulled up right beside you and made an attempt to swipe the statue.

The prize bird then dove down. You both looked at each other with a quick glance and followed the golden bird, diving after it.

There was a surge of wind that hit your face as you picked up speed. Flying along side Link made your heart race. It was neck and neck. You both had your arms extended, reaching for your glory. But you were better than him.

The golden loftwing abruptly extended its wings and soared upward. You signaled for your loftwing to the same successfully and were within inches of the stone carving. But it still wasn't close enough. You quickly looked around for any sign of Link and to your relief he was still flying back up to your altitude.

You leaned forward while reaching out and your fingers brushed the figure. Link had caught up to you again by now.

"Come on!" You yelled out in frustration between gritted teeth. The wind was whipping your hair around violently and your heart pounded in you ears.

Suddenly, the golden lofting gave a sharp turn to the right and this placed the small statue directly in Link's reach.

He didn't hesitate to grab it.

Your heart sank instantly. 'I don't believe it...'