Chapter 7

Eunjae peeled her eyes open to be greeted by the sight of her dreary cell. She wasn't sure when, but at some point after the guard had left, she'd fallen asleep on the cold, hard floor. She rubbed at her aching neck, muttering out several choice words under her breath. The sun shining brightly through the tiny window signaled that it was now morning of the next day.

"You sure can sleep."

Eunjae was startled by the husky voice that spoke up behind her, slicing through the silent and dismal atmosphere. She pivoted around, on the floor she still sat on, to face the unknown source of the comment, who happened to be a man in the cell adjacent to hers. She observed him for a moment, noticing that he seemed quite young, slightly older than her, and didn't fit well with the rest of the people being kept here. His dark hair was a stark contrast to his pale skin, and he lazed against the wall like it was nothing, a small smirk gracing his lips.

"Are you going to continue staring or are you going to speak?" The man quipped.

Eunjae's eyebrows furrowed. "And you would be...?"

The man yanked himself away from the wall and plopped down closer to the bars that separated his cell from hers. "Min Yoongi. And you don't seem like you belong here."

Eunjae raised an eyebrow. "Well, Min Yoongi, one must learn not to judge a book by their cover. Others who have underestimated me have long learned their lesson."

His smirk grew. "I apologize, then. I hope I haven't offended you."

Eunjae scrutinized the man before her, then, stuck out her hand by reaching it through the bars. Yoongi's eyebrows lifted in amusement for a moment before he grasped her hand, shaking it once.

"My name is Kang Eunjae. Nice to meet you."

"Likewise." Yoongi's palms splayed out against floor behind him as he got comfortable. "So, Kang Eunjae, what's your story?"

"Please, you first. What did a man such as yourself do to land yourself here?" Eunjae wondered.

Yoongi's eyes held mischief. "Let's just say I'm exactly where I need to be at the moment."

"Huh." Eunjae was confused by his comment, but nonetheless chose not to press any further. Not long after, the sound of footsteps echoed a distance away, and from the sounds of threats and curses being thrown towards the individual, Eunjae assumed it was the guard coming to retrieve her.

"I suppose it's that time already." She stated sorrowfully as she stood.

Yoongi simply remained sitting, his lips still curved in a knowing smirk. "Good luck."

Eunjae looked down at the strangely unbothered man. "Will you be alright? What's your sentence?"

From where she stood, Eunjae could make out the figure of the guard approaching her cell, nearly there. She turned her attention back to Yoongi when he spoke up.

"No need to worry about me, Eunjae, our paths will surely cross again."

That statement left Eunjae a combination of stunned, puzzled, and downright dumbfounded. She'd barely known the man for ten minutes and yet here he was, promising such impossible feats. Was he unaware of the circumstances the both of them were in? Ignorance must be bliss.

Eunjae had no time to inquire Yoongi's words further as the guard had finally arrived before her cell. He gave a curt nod as a greeting, making quick work of unlocking the door.

"Are you prepared to stand trial?" He asked.

Eunjae stepped forward, allowing him to tie her hands again, this time in front of her. She met his eyes. "It's not as if I have any choice."

=*=

Jimin stalked through the halls of the castle, not bothering to greet any of the servants he passed along the way.

He was in one of those moods today. Especially after the exhausting previous day.

The last thing Jimin felt like spending his time doing was listening to the crimes committed by citizens and having to endure their pointless begging. It irritated Jimin to no end when the utterly, indisputably guilty would pathetically attempt to beg for mercy as if they were innocent; if they didn't wish to deal with the consequences of their actions, they shouldn't have committed the crimes.

Jimin approached a wooden door settled at the end of the hall. He puffed out a burdened breath of air as he knocked on it, running a hand through his hair as he awaited a response. Before Jimin could become impatient, the door swung open, revealing the tall, dark-haired and teardrop-eyed man he'd been searching for.

"Ah, how kind of you to grace me with your presence, your highness, and only 20 minutes late this time." The snide man jested.

Jimin rolled his eyes. "Save the snarky remarks for another time, Namjoon, I didn't come here to be pestered."

"Yes, yes, your father already disclosed your agenda to me for today. This will be your first official sentencing, correct?" The older man shut the door to his office as he strode alongside Jimin through the grandeur corridors of the castle.

Jimin huffed. "Unfortunately. So tell me the best way of going about this."

Namjoon's lips titled upwards. "Have you learned nothing from observing previous trials?"

Jimin shot the man an annoyed look. "As my personal advisor, is this not the sole purpose of your job? How about you utilize that mind of yours and help me."

Namjoon chuckled. "Alright, alright. Well, you'll certainly need to keep a level-head throughout this. Demonstrate empathy as well as authority. Be merciful if necessary, but do not allow any opportunity for anyone to question your position. You will be the next king, after all."

The young prince sighed. "Do you know who is standing trial today?"

"I haven't heard much; I believe if I'm not mistaken it was something along the lines of theft or assault. The case will be read to you during the proceedings."

"And who will be present during the trial?" Jimin inquired as the two rounded a corner leading to a staircase. They hurried down it before taking another corner.

"Besides yourself, it will be Jungkook, the prisoner, and a mediator. Usually these types of things are more public, but since it will be your first an exception was made."

"How thoughtful." Jimin droned. Him and his advisor approached the doors that lead to the courtroom (of sorts), Namjoon nodding at each of the guards that flanked them. Jimin turned to face him. "I suppose this is where you leave me."

Namjoon's dimples were prominent as he gave Jimin a reassuring smile. "I'll be waiting in my office for a debrief once you've finished. Don't let me down."

Namjoon stalked off, leaving the silver-haired prince to his lonesome as he took one last intake of air before he flicked his head at the guards. Simultaneously, they drew the doors open, and Jimin confidently strode in.

=*=

merry christmas❣️