15. art galleries & interpretations

Something 'bout the way we be acting, babe, we are magical
- Kehlani, Undercover.

Saturday morning, I rubbed my eyes and made my way to the kitchen to have a glass of cold water. The house was somewhat silent and I started to wonder if Tanner was home. I walked to his room, peeking inside, but it was empty.

"Tanner?" I called, but there was no answer. Tucking my hair behind my ear, I walked out of the house and saw him in the garage, washing his car.

"Hey, you're finally up. I thought you would sleeping till 2 seeing as it's almost 1."

My eyes widened at Tanner's words. It couldn't be. I knew I must have slept for a while but 1?! Me and River had made plans that he would pick me up by 12! Or didn't he come at all?

"Tanner, are you messing with me?"

He laughed, "Yeah. It's only minutes after 9."

I let out a sigh of relief.

"Why? Have plans for today?"

I nodded, "Yeah."

"What's up?"

I shrugged lightly, "Just a hangout with a friend."

"Do I know this friend? Is it Logan?"

"Nope," I shook my head.

"Are you and Logan ever trying to go out on a date again?" He slung a small towel over his shoulder.

"No, not for now at least."

Why I hadn't told Tanner about River, I didn't know, but I got the feeling he would find about him today when he came to pick me because he had insisted on coming to pick me.

"I'll be taking Kendall to see her grandmother in an hour, and from there, we'll probably go somewhere to chill. I don't know when I'll be back home. You have to stay safe and keep me updated with whatever's going on," he told me.

"I'll be fine. I can take care of myself," I emphasized on the word 'can'.

"Yeah, I'm sure you can. It's just better to be safe than sorry. You know I wouldn't be able to live with myself if something happens to you," he walked to where I stood and kissed my forehead.

I looked up at him, "You've met Kendall's family already?"

"Her mom and grandmother, yeah," he nodded. "Her sister is married and she lives in Manchester with her husband. Her dad's mostly away. Why'd you ask?"

I shook my head almost immediately as thoughts of Zee came flooding into it. I could swear about two years ago that she and Tanner would get married. Our family and hers were so familiar with each other... and it really had just felt that way. It was like there was a connection they both had, that wasn't hard to miss at all. I couldn't see it between Tanner and Kendall, and that's how I knew he didn't love her as much as he loved Zee.

I didn't see Tanner get so playful and play pranks on Kendall. I didn't hear him tease Kendall about a particular way she did her things. I didn't see him stay up late in the night to have deep talks with Kendall. I didn't see or hear Kendall express profound gratitude to Tanner for getting her something she'd been wanting, and that was because Kendall could get anything she wanted. Without Tanner. Anything at all.

I might not know how things really were in the relationship, but I knew my brother wasn't himself around Kendall.

I sighed and flung my arms around Tanner, hugging him tightly, "I love you."

He hugged back, "I love you too, but where did that come from?"

I shrugged, "Can't a girl just hug her brother and tell him she loves him?"